Can we backup a single table in SQL Server 2008?

• Hi,

I just like to know that can we backup a single table in SQL Server 2008?

• No.

SQL backups are database, filegroup and file. You could, technically, put the table into a filegroup by itself and back that up, but when restoring you'd still need the primary filegroup of the database

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • you could do a logical save of data at the table level by using the bcp utility or an SSIS export.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• - another alternative is to just copy that table into another database and create a full backup of that db.

I would not suggest to do it this way all the time, but just in some exceptional occasions.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I like ALZDBA's suggestion, and hadn't thought of that. It adds an extra step to backing up and restoring the db, but that might be a good way to track the backup and restore.

Note that the import/export wizard could help you here, either with moving the data to some flat file, or even moving it to a new database that you back up and restore.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/23/2009)

Note that the import/export wizard could help you here, either with moving the data to some flat file, or even moving it to a new database that you back up and restore.

This would require an SSIS package to be executed. I believe that there are ways to do that from T-SQL but I've never tried them.

I would execute a small T-SQL script from the maintenance plan (SQL Server 2005 and later) using the "Execute T-SQL Statement Task".

[font="Courier New"]use [BackupDB]

go

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[BackupDB].[dbo].[MyTable]') AND type in (N'U'))

DROP TABLE [BackupDB].[dbo].[MyTable]

select * into [BackupDB].[dbo].[MyTable] from [MyDB].[dbo].[MyTable][/font]

I think that this would be faster as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply