Can we cluster SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services?

• We currently run a SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Cluster running on Windows Server 2003 R2. However, we're making the move to SQL Server 2008 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 running as an active/passive cluster. Currently I have my reporting services installed on another server but with the new hardware I have more than enough performance to run it all together. However we're finding a lot of conflicting information on clustering SSRS 2008. Some are saying that SSRS is not "cluster aware".

We're clustering just to give us some HA capability to fall back on in the event of a hardware failure.

So what's the story. Can we cluster SSRS 2008? How do people scale out SSRS 2008?

• SSRS is not cluster aware, however you can install the reporting services databases on a failover cluster.

you can create a 'scaled out' deployment but you need enterprise edition of SSRS.

some light reading:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522745.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157293.aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• In addition to that reading, look up SSRS NLB (network load balance). You can install ssrs on a cluster box but would need to make SSRS a member of an NLB cluster.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks guys, we will deploy to an NLB cluster dedicated to SSRS. Appreciate your responses.

• You're welcome.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hold on - you don't need an NLB cluster for this. Enterprise Edition allows for scale-out reporting services installation.

What you do is install reporting services on each node in the cluster, add the nodes in the scale-out options and now you can access from either node.

Additionally, since it is being hosted on both nodes - you'll have access through the cluster VIP, the SQL Server VIP or each individual node as needed.

No need to worry about clustering it at all, the only thing you would have clustered is the database.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• That was my intended solution...install reporting services on each node in the cluster, add the nodes in the scale-out options and then access from either node. However whenever I try to install RS on the second node I get an error at the Installation Rules;

Existing clustered or clustered-prepared instance' failed.

The Instance selected for installation is already installed and clustered on computer xxxxxxx03.

To continue select a different instance to cluster

This happens when I use the New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add feature to existing installation wizard

Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Bilex

• It sounds like you are trying to install the database engine again. Only select to install the reporting services component and any other non-cluster aware components you want on that node (e.g. SSIS and/or client tools).

Jeffrey Williams

• Well, I do not get the option to uncheck the Database Engine Services. See screen shots

• Perform a new installation instead of modifying an existing one. Then, only select the Reporting Services component.

Jeffrey Williams

• That worked by creating a named instance for SSRS. I guess that correct right?

• New problem, when I navigate to the URL it's prompting for a user name and password. Any ideas or pointers. I have not found anything out there that has helped so far.

• bilex7226 (4/26/2010)

That worked by creating a named instance for SSRS. I guess that correct right?

You should not have had to do that - but it shouldn't be a problem.

Jeffrey Williams

• bilex7226 (4/27/2010)

New problem, when I navigate to the URL it's prompting for a user name and password. Any ideas or pointers. I have not found anything out there that has helped so far.

What changes did you make to IIS and/or the web site?

Jeffrey Williams

• Jeff,

thanks for the followup. Don't have IIS installed..SQL2008 does not require IIS, except I am missing something. I did not change anything with the webservices. It does not prompt for authentication on the first node, but does so on the second node...weird eh?

Bilex

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply