Can we have both SQL 2005 and 2008 client tools on the same PC?

• Many thanks in advance.

• Yes we can!

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I can't say I would recomment it but I've already had sql 7, 2005 and 2008 on the same machine :-D.

• No, it is not possible. Even if you install it would launch them as SqlExpres for 2005 and the sql server 2008 with the sql server. In Services.msc, if you go and check only the Sql Server 2008 only would be available wth the default install SqlServer

• eswar.l (4/16/2010)

No, it is not possible. Even if you install it would launch them as SqlExpres for 2005 and the sql server 2008 with the sql server. In Services.msc, if you go and check only the Sql Server 2008 only would be available wth the default install SqlServer

What??? I had both installed on my local machine and it worked great... other than I didn't have enough ram to run both at the same time with 100 GB dbs.

• Eswar U r right....

Its not possible. I installed on my local machine...I installed SQL 2008 & then installed SQL 2005, SQL 2005 it installed as SQL express....

• I have 2000, 2005 and 2008 on my development machine.

I can run SMSS 2005 or SMSS 2008 (and even Query Analyser if I want - though it has nothing to connect to as 2000 isn't running any more)

However there is no point running anything other than SMSS 2008 as 1) it loads up much quicker than SMSS 2005, and 2) you can access all 3 versions of Sql server.

Same applies for SQL profiler too.

• Sasidhar Pulivarthi (4/16/2010)

Eswar U r right....

Its not possible. I installed on my local machine...I installed SQL 2008 & then installed SQL 2005, SQL 2005 it installed as SQL express....

Database engine and client tools are different. Engine you might either upgrade or create a new named instance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Just one additional note about client tools and using SSIS.

If you use SSMS 2008 and connect to a 2005 database C# cannot be used as a language. If you have already written SSIS packages in C# for a 2008 databases this can be a big issue.

I would suggest keeping on version of SSMS 2005 somewhere in your domain just for this reason alone.

• Yes we can, i have had 2005 and 2008 installed my machine 🙂

• on my machine i had 2005 installed a couple of times as various instance names...then i installed 2008. cleaning up some extra unneeded isntance names,

i now have the 2005 db engine and 2008 db engine both installed on my machine;

i made my 2008 the default instance, and a 2005 as a named instance....however 2008 removed the SSMS2005 version of the client tools and replaced it with the updated 2008 version...i have to connect to either instance with that...

so in my case, i believe you cannot have the client tools for 2005 and also the client tools for 2008.

does anyone's setup contradict that? TWO sets of client tools?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Yes Lowell I can contradict you.

Install sequence :

2008 enterprise trial

sql 7 client tools (windows xp... not compatible with vista)

2005 enterprise trial

I had both db engines with SSRS, SSIS and SSAS AND SSMS AND QA 7.0.

Now this slowed the pc to a crawl because I didn't have enough ram (2GB RAM with 250 GB of DBs) but that's another story.

• Yes, I have SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 running on the same machine. Client tools and database instances.

• I have SQL Server 2000, 2005 client tools, along with 2008 Developer Edition server installed on my desktop.

We still have some SQL Server 7.0 systems, so I need the 2000 tools for them, plus I still like using SQL 2000 Query Analyzer.

I recommend that you install the tools in order from oldest to newest: 2000 tools, then latest 2000 service pack, then 2005 tools, then latest 2005 service pack, etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply