Can we take it to another level, please?

• Craig Farrell (7/5/2011)

[ There always seems to be one of those jokers hiding in the forum behind every high end article I've seen so far.

And half the QotD discussions it seems....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Good post Gus, I will look into it from this perspective.

Perhaps what you're looking at is the point in your evolution as an SQL DBA where you need to move from "learning by asking/reading" and start moving towards "learning by answering/writing".

• Winston Daley-344648 (7/5/2011)

Good post Gus, I will look into it from this perspective.

Perhaps what you're looking at is the point in your evolution as an SQL DBA where you need to move from "learning by asking/reading" and start moving towards "learning by answering/writing".

I almost started by answering. I only had the rule to research and test my solutions.

And I think I can safely assume that I was one of the fastest learners on this site (10s of people seemed to think so from what I was projecting).

• Winston Daley-344648 (7/5/2011)

In martial arts (and I assume many, many other places) they say that you only know a technique when you can teach it, and it's very true.

You can still learn from courses, articles, books, etc; however there are many fewer of those as you go up in competency.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

Craig Farrell (7/5/2011)

[ There always seems to be one of those jokers hiding in the forum behind every high end article I've seen so far.

I was trying to avoid mentioning that person in particular....

GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

In martial arts (and I assume many, many other places) they say that you only know a technique when you can teach it, and it's very true.

I'm going to have to remember that one. An excellent statement.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (7/5/2011)

GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

Craig Farrell (7/5/2011)

I was trying to avoid mentioning that person in particular....

Deys?

Wow, I never noticed that in reverse his name spells DIES. Maybe that's our version of the anti-christ (nor trying to start a religious war or anything!).

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/5/2011)

Deys?

Wow, I never noticed that in reverse his name spells DIES. Maybe that's our version of the anti-christ (nor trying to start a religious war or anything!).

Never seen him post on QotD (maybe he does and I just hadn't noticed)

Wasn't thinking of anyone in particular, but it seems that just about every single QotD discussion has someone picking holes in the question.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

Winston Daley-344648 (7/5/2011)

You can still learn from courses, articles, books, etc; however there are many fewer of those as you go up in competency.

+1 000 000

I almost can't stand to read articles after all those years. I need to be pursuing a very specific goal and then I can absord waves of information in no time while doing it. Reading just for the sake of reading has lost all interest at this point (only 4-5 years into it... well 8 years with 3 years off).

That's also in those moments that I get inspired and get my genuiest?!?! eurekas. >>see new word! :w00t:

• GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/5/2011)

Deys?

Never seen him post on QotD (maybe he does and I just hadn't noticed)

Wasn't thinking of anyone in particular, but it seems that just about every single QotD discussion has someone picking holes in the question.

I don't waste time on the forum of the qotd, it's just the first name that poped in my mind when talking about annoying person nitpicking for no good reasons. The only times I read is when I don't really understand the answer or want to pick the brains of the mvps-ish who posted extra feedback.

The I want my points back saga is old and tired at this point! Seriously, how do you get so emotionnally attached to those?!?!

• Steve - Thanks for responding.

The response, networking & transparency on this issue is amazing. Not to mention the quality time, unselfishness and effort some people on here dedicate to helping others in need.

I voiced one annoyance, and I now have a clearer view of how the process of the article-ownership life cycle works, and as Craig said, about how all the one-upmanship that has to be dealt with, and the time it would take to have an Author really focus on getting a good product out the door, er, on the page.

It would be out of place for me to tell you how to run SSC, because it would then be run for me, and that is not good business.

My initial annoyance, and that was before everyone here started putting their 2 cents in and Craig mentioned the process above, ranging from a good mix of a simple article to a whitepaper and eventually what I would find in a book, as a chapter. And that takes a lot of time & the cost could be prohibitive.;-)

And its not like any one or several areas of SQL Server would require more or less coverage, we need it all for complete coverage.

This site is multifaceted, yes, but everything breaks down into, in this case, an article, of which there could be multiple copies written by different people.

In other words, if this site is around for another 10 years, there could quite likely be a hundred thousand articles on, for example, Indexes.

All I know is, to me, that screams incomplete. And since each one of those 100,000 articles on indexing, is written ( branded ) by different people, I don't know how you would manage that. It just seems that when a newbie comes into the field 10 years from now, that person now has 100,000 articles to read.

A Whacked out business model, for sure, and that's my frustration today.

I don't know this business well enough to tell you, or ask you to fix it, or even if it can be fixed, all I know is I started out with an annoyance, & that just may be something I have to live with.

• Thank you for your understanding. I must admit when I read this I thought it was going to turn into another 'scream at Steve cause he doesn't do things the way I want' threads. (We've had a few of those)

Yes, a side effect of the fact that people can write and submit what they like is that there will be multiple articles on the same subject. Some will be excellent, some just average, some poor and a couple error-riddled.

I'm not sure if there's a good solution to the problem that doesn't also impact one of the things this site is supposed to be - a place for aspiring authors to get started.

Gail Shaw

• The only real solution I've seen to the 100k articles thing, is a wiki. Then you have one article on the subject. But the quality and accuracy is only as good as the last person to edit it, and uncovering flaws in it requires reading 1M forum posts and revision history entries.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (7/6/2011)

The only real solution I've seen to the 100k articles thing, is a wiki. Then you have one article on the subject. But the quality and accuracy is only as good as the last person to edit it, and uncovering flaws in it requires reading 1M forum posts and revision history entries.

A sql wiki's been tried already and the project went by the wayside. Maybe it's time for try #2.

• GilaMonster (7/5/2011)

... but it seems that just about every single QotD discussion has someone picking holes in the question.

Or repeated posts stating that the answer is wrong :rolleyes:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• It's not that we will have 100k articles on some topic, but we will have some, and it wouldn't be necessary to read them all. Some will be outdated and not relevant, some might cover similar topics. I do reject some articles that are too close to others at times, though others might slip through. I try to avoid the overview articles on new features for that reason and try to get more details on "how" something is used.

As I mentioned, the forum I linked is a good place to put things. I've put in items that I think are "holes" on the site, trying to round out the content over time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply