Can We use SQL Reporting Services

• Hi Folks,

In my company We are using Java, j2ee and Jbuilder as a front end.In a backend we are using SQL Server 2000. Can we use Reporting Services as our report tool in this case.Why I have doubt because I have heard that it is used with dot net.

So if anyone of you can guide me regarding this??

Cheers

Niladri Saha

Thanks & Regards,

Niladri Kumar Saha

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Yes, but it may not be easy.  If you can get your hands on i) a copy of visual studio for creating the reports; and ii) IIS for running the web service; and iii) can put .net on the server that runs IIS and/or RS; then you're in with a chance.

*Technically* speaking, you don't need VS to create your reports, they are just XML after all (look for the RDL schema on MSDN) but coding these by hand would be a major pain - you could always write a java front-end RDL/Report writer

In the past I've heard of at least one other web server written for the linux/java world that is meant to be able to run aspx code, but I think that it would be hard to get RS working with this.  So if you can't use IIS, then you're probably stuck.

If you can use IIS, then you would most likely:

1. Author your reports using VS and publish to RS server

2. Use either webservice or URL calls to RS service to render reports ack as html/pdf etc via your java front end/s.

HTH,

Steve.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply