Cannot add a primary key

• Hello all,

I keep getting this error message when I try to right click a column and set it as primary key:

Unable to create index 'PK_MyTableName'.

ODBC error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]There is already an object named 'PK_MyTableName' in the database.

It was a day of experimenting. Earlier in the day, I had a starter version of MyTableName, which I deleted. I then had another version of MyTableName, which I then renamed to MyTableNameorig; I then created a new version of MyTableName and now I cannot create a primary key for it. ...I'm suspecting this deleting/renaming had something to do with this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:)

• Run the following to see if it returns anything. If it does, you have an index by that name! I'm assuming SQL2K. Let us know what you see.

select * from sysindexes where name = 'PK_MyTableName'

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• PK_MyTableName is probably the primary key for MyTableNameorig. Renaming a table doesn't rename it's indexes and constraints.

Greg

• Aha! I didn't realize that indexes and assignment of primary keys would not change along with table names. This is, uh, somewhat counter-intuitive.

I took the path of least resistance, since I was still experimenting:

I deleted all the tables I had created that day, and then recreated the table with the final structure that I wanted. The problem went away!

Thank you! I'll know not to fall into *that* trap again...;)

• Yes, it would have been nice if SQL Server had dependent objects use dependent Namespaces, but that never happened.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply