Cannot add Cascase Delete - Multiple Cascade Paths

• I have the following schema in which I cannot add multiple cascade delete on some fields. I was wondering it this is normal, and if not, can someone think of a better way representing my schema?

Overview: Users r creating forecasts. They want versions of a forecast, but only certain entities are versioned and some are consistent within a forecast. For example, ForecastCountry, this will be the same for all versions of a forecast, but there can be different pricingdrugs between versions. Here is a sample schema.

Forecast PricingDrug

--------------- ----------------

ForecastID (PK) PricingDrugID (PK)

VersionID (FK)

PricingDrugName

Version

---------------- ForecastCountry

VersionID (PK) ----------------------

ForecastID (FK) ForecastCountryID (PK)

CountryID (FK)

ForecastID (FK)

Now the table in question, I cannot add cascade delete on both of the FK fields.

PricingDrugForecastCountry

----------------------------

PricingDrugForecastCountry(PK)

ForecastCountryID (FK)

PricingDrugID (FK)

I can only add cascade delete on one of the Fk. I do notice the 2 different cascade paths in the schema, so I know why, my question is there a better approach?

• Cascade DELETE is DRI(declarative referential integrity) which just means if A references B, B must exist. So when you need to Cascade DELETE and Cascade UPDATE past the first foreign key you need a DRI Trigger because the automatic version in most RDBMS should not go past one foreign key.

So you can do what you want with a DRI Trigger.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply