cannot connect to my named instance

• i have installed sql server 2014

i have the sql server service running.

however i cannot connect to my local instance that i named during the installation.

config manager shows the account as - NT Service\MSSQL$ALPHA

but i cant login as NT Service\MSSQL$ALPHA or MSSQL$ALPHA or ALPHA

what should i be connecting as? in the install i named my instance - ALPHA

• No, system accounts can't be used for interactive logins. Did you give your own Windows account access when you installed SQL Server? If not, you'll need to ask someone who does have sysadmin access to grant you access, or log on to the server as a local admin, start SQL Server in single user mode, grant yourself access, and restart SQL Server in normal mode.

John

• Enable SQL Server Browser (in SQL server config manager), named pipes and TCP/P as well

• Login with Windows authentication and be logged into windows with the account that you installed the instance as. Part way through the installation it would have prompted you for windows logins, and 'add current user' is probably the option you would have selected there.

The service account is the account SQL runs under, not what you use to connect to it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • What is the error you are getting?

Looks like you installed an instance called ALPHA with a local system account?

Did you set up the sa password during installation?

Built-in administrators is disabled, so local admin will not work.

confirm that you have enabled tcp/ip and that the browser service is running

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply