Cannot Create View - Object_Id Sequencing Issue?! Corruption?

• When trying to create a new view, I get an error saying object already exists. But when you query sys.objects, it does NOT exist. So then I tried dropping the "nonexistent" object and guess what? It tells me it does not exist so nothing is dropped!

Closest thing I could find was KB for SQL 2000 - and this did not help (idea was object_id is actually in use somehow even though object name is not in the catalog - almost like the name and id were orphaned somehow):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827448

Version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.5266.00 (X64)

Code/messages below...

==========================================================

/****** Object: View [dbo].[CvtyPlan] Script Date: 10/24/2011 08:57:18 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[CvtyPlan]

AS

SELECT *

FROM cvty_content.dbo.CvtyPlan WITH (NOLOCK)

GO

--Msg 2714, Level 16, State 3, Procedure CvtyPlan, Line 5

--There is already an object named 'CvtyPlan' in the database.

select * from sys.objects where name = 'CvtyPlan' and type = 'v'

--(0 row(s) affected)

===========================================================

Thanks,

--tz

• Select * from sys.objects where name = 'CvtyPlan'

???

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gila-M, thanks for your reply. As I stated querying sys.objects (and all other catalog views) returns 0 records. I found the issue -- a table existed with the same name as the view I was trying to create:

I was merging two dbs into one new database and as such had a Table with the same name as a View I was trying to create. Apparently, even though the catalog views distinguish between a view [v] and table , the names must still be unique.

So I was querying sys.objects for a view named XYZ which returned 0 results, and when trying to drop that nonexistent view it rightfully said it didn't exist -- yet the user table of the same name did and that's where the conflict was.

Thanks,

--tz

• TZ.DBGeek (10/25/2011)

Gila-M, thanks for your reply. As I stated querying sys.objects (and all other catalog views) returns 0 records. I found the issue -- a table existed with the same name as the view I was trying to create:

That's why I asked about a query of sys.objects without a filter on type, which would have picked up that table.

Object names must be unique in a database, not just objects of a particular type. So a view can't have the same name as a table which can't have the same name as a procedure, trigger, function, constraint, etc.

The name column in sys.objects is unique (well, in the underlying system tables it is)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply