Cannot defrag indexes

• pooyan_pdm (7/18/2012)

To be honest I didn't read the last sentence in your reply to OPC and thought your were saying the exact opposite. Didn't mean to offend you.

You obviously didn't read any of what I said in that response.

• Paul Randal details indexes in this article

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (7/18/2012)

Paul Randal details indexes in this article

Thanks for the link. I'll save for later. At this time I have learned the error of my ways and really don't need more people telling I'm wrong.

• Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

If you rebuild the NCIs first then the CI, you force rebuilds on the NCIs because of changes to the CI.

pooyan_pdm (7/17/2012)

By rebuilding Clustered indexes ,index definition(index key) are not changed so why should any Nonclustered index get rebuilt??

You're both sort of right here if that makes sense, but it does depend on the version of sql server and whether the clustered index is unique or not. Read the link I posted and it should become clearer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks Perry I didn't know in case of using sql server 2000 by rebuilding non unique cluster indexes any non clustered indexes whould be rebuit too.But that's not the case in sql 2005 & 2008 which this blog is about.

Pooyan

• sure, appreciate that, but just to make you aware of how it was and is now

😉

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply