Cannot delete or create a column marker in Flat File(fixed length) Connection Maanger Editor;SSIS

• I had a file in text format (fixed length) to upload into a table. I have used SSIS package to insert data from .txt to SQL.

I am working on the flat file connection manager -selected fixed length in Generat tab and placed column markers in the columns tab.

Now I had a change in the file with additional columns randomly in between the existing columns.

I tried to create a new column marker in the columns pane but wasn't able to do. Yet, I could move the marker but I have 190 columns so moving one column would cause to move another 100 columns.

Is there any resolution for this.

Please suggest.

• Please share your ideas

Swetha K

• swethak13 (7/22/2011)

I had a file in text format (fixed length) to upload into a table. I have used SSIS package to insert data from .txt to SQL.I am working on the flat file connection manager -selected fixed length in Generat tab and placed column markers in the columns tab.

Now I had a change in the file with additional columns randomly in between the existing columns.

I tried to create a new column marker in the columns pane but wasn't able to do. Yet, I could move the marker but I have 190 columns so moving one column would cause to move another 100 columns.

Is there any resolution for this.

Please suggest.

Hello Swetha,

Did you ever fiund a workaround for this issue? I had the same problem when I was working with a falt file of 1252 length with 160 columns, I was not able to add/deelte markers on editing. Then now I am using the Derived column to use substrings but it has its own issues.

Please let me know if you were able to find the solution for column marker issue.

Thanks!!!

• I have the same problem with a rather large flatfile. Did anyone get a fix for the problem of adding and moving column markers?

• Bill Jones-317510 (1/20/2012)

I have the same problem with a rather large flatfile. Did anyone get a fix for the problem of adding and moving column markers?

I found the Derived column method more convenient. You consider the whole string as 1 column, then add derived columns, you can use the substring method to tell the length of each column.

I wasnt able to edit/move the column markers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply