Cannot Edit Jobs from SSMS

• I am having a problem editing jobs in SQL Server Management Studio from my workstation. I can see the SQL Agent Jobs and right click and view the job history.

If I remote desktop to the SQL 205 server and login with the same windows authentication I can right click on the jobs and see and edit the properties (steps, schedules, etc.)

From my workstation I can right click on a job and script as create to new window and see all of the SQL code to create the job and its steps.

I do not think is is a problem related to permissions. I am a member of the sysadmin role.

I am more inclined to think something about the configuration of SSMS is different or something is not right with my connection to the server.

There is another DBA in the office and he does not have the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

• Hey Jeff,

Would it be possible to post the specific error as well? If there is no error, is there anything else that you find odd or notable?

Thanks,

Eric

• There is no error message. When I right click on an existing job and select properties - I get the New Job window.

I do not get any of the fields populated with the properties of the existing job.

Same things happens if I double click on the existing job.

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

• Jeff451,

A few things come to mind that you can try.

1) Is your machine patched to the same SQL Server version of the Database server?

(Open SSMS on the workstation Help >> About. Should look something like this:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.3042.00

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.3042.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.1433

Operating System 5.1.2600

Perform the same while logged into the server's SSMS.

)

2) Have the other DBA use your machine to make a connection and attempt to modify a job. (The idea here is to prove or disprove a good install of SSMS on your machine.)

Keep us posted!

"Key"
    MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply