cannot failover AG to secondary replica

• We are not able to failover the AG to secondary replica. The process gets timed out and AG goes to resolving mode. Had to reboot the box in order to switch the AG back to primary node. We even rebuilt the whole AG from scratch but the issue remains.

Failed to bring availability group 'xxxx' online. The operation timed out. Verify that the local Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) node is online. Then verify that the availability group resource exists in the WSFC cluster. If the problem persists, you might need to drop the availability group and create it again. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 41131). The step failed.

Not much information is available in the logs.

Version : sql server 2014 sp1

• Have you tried this?

Link

• Beatrix Kiddo (8/12/2015)

Have you tried this?

Link

I did tried that one, but same result. Now I am getting the below error:

failed to designate the local availability group replica to AG.

• This suggests that it's an issue with the DNS suffix (search on the page for "designate").

• you seem to have a fair number of issues here, can you confirm that the cluster validation was clear of errors before you deployed your availability group

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry,

we went through cluster validation tests. Everything was working fine from last 8+ months. We applied WSUS and SQL2014 SP1 on the box prior to failover. That's when we started seeing these errors. The latest one is --

Msg 41066, Level 16, State 0, Line 3

Cannot bring the Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) resource (ID '6d9c7675-aabb-40ab-903e-f54b5eaf472d') online (Error code 5942).

The WSFC service may not be running or may not be accessible in its current state, or the WSFC resource may not be in a state that could accept the request. For information about this error code, see "System Error Codes" in the Windows Development documentation.

Msg 41160, Level 16, State 0, Line 3

Failed to designate the local availability replica of availability group 'xxx' as the primary replica. The operation encountered SQL Server error 41066 and has been terminated. Check the preceding error and the SQL Server error log for more details about the error and corrective actions.

I searched for error 5942--

Error 5942 (The resource failed to come online due to the failure of one or more provider resources.)

• muthyala_51 (8/12/2015)

Perry,

we went through cluster validation tests. Everything was working fine from last 8+ months. We applied WSUS and SQL2014 SP1 on the box prior to failover. That's when we started seeing these errors. The latest one is --

Msg 41066, Level 16, State 0, Line 3

Cannot bring the Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) resource (ID '6d9c7675-aabb-40ab-903e-f54b5eaf472d') online (Error code 5942).

The WSFC service may not be running or may not be accessible in its current state, or the WSFC resource may not be in a state that could accept the request. For information about this error code, see "System Error Codes" in the Windows Development documentation.

Msg 41160, Level 16, State 0, Line 3

Failed to designate the local availability replica of availability group 'xxx' as the primary replica. The operation encountered SQL Server error 41066 and has been terminated. Check the preceding error and the SQL Server error log for more details about the error and corrective actions.

I searched for error 5942--

Error 5942 (The resource failed to come online due to the failure of one or more provider resources.)

I would re run the validation first and see what that throws up

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Did you ever find the solution to this? I have the exact issue now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply