Cannot Generate SSPI Context

• We have a Client-Server software, which works perfectly on “Windows 2000”.

But the same software gives problem when it runs on “Windows XP”, i.e.  below mentioned basis   

Server OS: Windows 2000 Advanced  Server (Domain)

Client OS : Windows XP Professional

Database : MSSQL 2000 professional running at Server

We use “Integrated Security” to login to SQL Server 2000.

The computer (Client)  works fine with our software, but often, the following message appears.

“Cannot Generate SSPI Context”

This message probably appears when the software tries to establish connection to the SQL Server, but it is not always the case. At what point the message appears is not predictable.

Once the message comes it is not be possible to continue further with this software and we need to restart the computer.  This Message sometimes appears even after getting the connection to the server,  while working in our software.

Connection is established in Visual Basic using ADO.

• A bit obscure this, but check the clock times on the server and the loca machine. If the clocks are out of synch by even a couple of minutes it can cause this problem. I would also check the load on the AD servers to be sure that's not the problem.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Troubleshooting Tips:

·         Verify date/time settings on server and client

·         Shutdown any third party time services and enable Windows Time Service

·         Verify DNS settings/name resolution

·         Run SETSPN -L <ServerName> from the client which is experiencing the error

·        SPN uses the DNS name of the server, If the DNS name is incorrect verify issue is not w/ client by running IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS or restart client machine

·        Re-run SETSPN or verify DNS name of server from client machine

·        If DNS name is still incorrect contact your networking group

·        Removing the SPN entirely should resolve the issue -- Run SETSPN -D <SPN> <ServerName> 

• I have a similar setup, but with SQL Server 7 Desktop version running on my laptop and I get the same problem when I try to connect to it usiing either mmc or isql.  The problem goes away once I put up my office VPN and connect to the local SQL server.  Once I have done that then even if my VPN goes dosn I have no further problems. 

It appears that I need to have my VPN up for the 'authorising' to work initially.  I would desperately like to know how to correct this because it never used to work that way, but I have the VPN up all the time so I cannot pinpoint when things changed.  I suspect it was when I upgraded my laptop from W2K Professional to XP Professional a few months back. 

I hope this shed more light on things.  Any help welcome.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply