Cannot Register an Instance of SQL Server 2000

• Information:

Server A: SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition.  OS is Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition. SQL Service pack is 3a.  

Member of domain ABCDomain.  Server A is going to function as a Distributor.  Location: New York.

Server B: SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition.  OS is Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition.  SQL Service pack is 3a.  

Member of domain ABCDomain.  Server B is going to function as a Subscriber.  Location: London.

Server C: SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition.  OS is Windows 2000 Advanced Server.  SQL Service pack 3a.  Member of

domain ABCDomain.  Server C is going to function as a Publisher.  Location New York.

Problem:  I am setting up a test replication environment prior to going live with a replication from New York to London.  When

I try to register Server A on Server B through Enterprise Manager, I get the error: ‘SQL Server does not exist or access denied’.

I get the same error when I try to register Server B on Server A.  Both boxes can ping the other.  I am able to

register Server C (Publisher) on both boxes ( A and B) as well as register Server’s A and B on Server C. 

I would appreciate your input as to what could be causing this problem as well as a possible solution.

Thank you in advance.

• Hi rmizzar!

It might be caused by what protocols that are used. I would try to first set the language to tcp/ip and if that does not work, to named pipes.

If you are logged in on the server when you do this, use the Client Network Utility and go to Aliases tab. Type in the servername and let use i.e. TCP/IP as protocol. Try to register the server, if not, go back and change to Named Pipes. Remeber that you have to do this on the server itself. You have Client Network Utitlty if you have the same problem on your workstation.

I have this problem between some of my servers, and I have not figured out why it behaves like this, but it does and the error I get is the same as your.

Good luck.

robbac
    ___the truth is out there___

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply