Cannot Reset Password in SQL 2005

• I have recently moved a few servers from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 and have one nagging issue that I cannot find the answer to. I have some users that I allow reset people's passwords. In SQL 2000 they this this thru Enterprise Manager. With memberships the the same roles on the SQL2005 servers they need to know the persons old password before they can reset it. I am getting around this issue by having them run the following script

ALTER LOGIN username WITH PASSWORD = 'Testing!'

If anyone can give me any pointers on this one I would appreciate it.

• With enterprise manager in 2k5 you should be able to change the user password too except I am missing something in your explanation

Mike

• Hi

SQL 2005 uses strong password policy, especially if its on Windows 2003 server, what you need to do is reset the password to one in which hasnt been used before, and also has a strong combination.

If you do not want the password policy to be enabled for the login, simply disable it from the properies of the login.

Hope this helps

• Use a complex password and try. What dean says is right by default password complexity is enabled in sql 2005.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply