Cannot resolve Odd Timeout Issue

• Database is on SQL 2005 x64 Server

with sp_configure the "remote query timeout" is set to 32000

Client application is written in C# running on a Win2k3 server.

The ADO.NET connection has the connection timeout set to 32000 as well.

(Note in both cases I tried setting the timeout to zero - but it had no affect)

My problem is that I have stored procedures that are being called, and timing out after a minute or less. Not always, not always the same one, but it seems random.

Is there some sort of timeout setting that I am missing somewhere that might be causing this, or is there something else going on?

Thanks,

Bill Mell

• I think I've seen that kind of thing happen before when there was a problem with the network between the two servers. Not sure that applies to your situation, but might be worth checking.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• A timeout issue will not be random. If everything times out after an exact amount of time (or completes an a shorter amount of time), you have a timeout set somewhere.

What errors are you getting?

• The error I am getting is "Error Message -> Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding"

When I say it is random, I mean just that. This error will frequently come when the stored procedure has been running less than one minute.

• So running the same line of code, sometimes it times out in less than a minute and sometimes it runs for longer than a minute?

• This is a background process, running continuously

The same line of code is calling various stored procedures.

Sometimes the stored procedure takes 1-2 minutes, sometimes less but

at random times the line of code gets the error listed above.

The stored procedures themselves are doing a simple copy of records from one table to another, no rocket science here, not much to cause a problem.

• I'd definitely check into the possibility of hardware issues and also concurrency issues. Does it time out when there's a heavy load on one or more of the servers involved?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• There is very little load on either server, as it is an early testing situation. I'm thinking hardware as well. Whatever it is, it sure isn't making much sense.

Thanks!

Bill

• We recently had an issue with intermittent timeouts that was caused by a RAID controller that had started having problems (had a bad solder join on part of it). I've seen it before where a router (or maybe it was a switch, I don't remember) started failing and would sometimes lose connections for a bit.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply