Cannot start MSSQLSERVER as domain user

• All

We have an issue in that our Primary node in our log shipping environment cannot start MSSQLSERVER as a domain user.

SQL-N1 ships to SQL-N2, we moved from the legacy domain with N2 this morning and made the changes to the services to launch as the domain account

We moved N1 this evening added the users into the local administrators group and changed the services from local system to the domain account.

Upon restarting SQL-N1 we got the error message

initconfig: Error 32(error not found) opening 'F:\master.mdf' for configuration

My initial instincts where that the account (all be it now a local admin) didnt have read write access to the drives, but SQL-N1\Administrators had full control to all drives on the server

I manually added the account in as a seperate user with full control to all drives and again with no luck.

The program files for SQL are installed on the C:\, System DBs on F:\ and System Logs on G:\

SQLSERVERAGENT will run as the domain account, it is only MSSQLSERVER which is causing the issue.

Startup parameters are -dF:\master.mdf -lG:\mastlog.ldf -eJ:\errorlog\errorlog

Any help is much appricated.

Thanks

Anthony

• Could you try to have the following startup variables:

-dF:\master.mdf -lF:\mastlog.ldf -eJ:\errorlog\errorlog

And move the mastlog.ldf to the same directory as the mdf file.

• The issue is not with the master log file, it is with the master data file.

I dont see how moving the log will resolve the issue

Thanks

Ant

• You didn't mention how you're trying to change the account that it runs under. I've noticed that if I go into the Windows Services console (services.msc) and change the account directly, SQL will not start. However, if you change the account using the SQL Server Configuration Manager, it works fine.

Good luck.

-Doug

http://dougzuck.com

• Doug

I was changing the account through services.msc.

I will arrange downtime and change through config manager and repost the results.

Anthony

• Check out this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283811

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply