Cannot view table data or meta data in Enterprise Manager

• I have SQL 2000, 2005, and recently the 2008 CTP installed on my local machine. Since installing the CTP, however, I receive an error in Enterprise Manager when attempting to open a table and view all rows. I receive the same error when selecting "design table."

The error reads as follows:

"An unexpected error happened during this operation. [MS Visual Database Tools] - Catastrophic failure"

I click "OK" (the only option) and am returned to the list of tables. When I double-click on a table I do get the "Table Properties" dialog box, however.

It's not that big of a deal because I'm trying to force myself to use SSMS as much as possible anyway. I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this issue and might know why it is happening. Is it because of the 2k8 install?

I tried Google, but didn't find anything in terms of an explanation.

Regards

• Haven't seen that, but 2008 is still wet paint and I'd likely point to that as the issue. Course I run 2008 in a VM for this very reason. Don't need flakiness and those CTPs are hard to get rid of.

• For what it's worth...

I had the same setup (2000 client tools, 2005 db engine, & 2008 CTP)

all installed locally on an XP(SP2) machine and received the same

error you show when trying to use Enterprise Manager to view any tables and/or views.

I too found nothing on a fairly extensive search to resolve the issue.

The obvious...Uninstalling the 2008 CTP didn't work.

Reinstalling the 2000 client tools did no good either.

What worked ultimately was a system restore back to earlier this week.

I installed 2008 two days ago so it didn't cost me all that much.

• Well, at least I don't feel so alone now. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback!

• I have the same problem when install SQL 2008 CPT with my current 2000 version.

I have to uninstall SQL 2008 CPT, uninstall SQL 2000, delete the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80 then re-install SQL2000 to fix this issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply