Can't access the server after restart!!

• Hi folks,

I have 2 servers, S1 and S2. S1 has couple of scheduled job that updates/inserts data into tables on S2.

The S2 server had to be restarted and the IP address on it changed from 192.168.1.17 to 192.168.1.5

Problem is, when I ping S2 from S1 it still pings the old IP address (i.e., 192.168.1.17) instead of 192.168.1.5

I was successfully able flush DNS cache by using "IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS". Also, Verified the cleared cache using "IPCONFIG /DISPLAYDNS".

At this point my guess is that DNSLOOKUP is being done from the router.

My question is how can I Flush the DNS cache on the router? I dont have any permissions on the router. So, I will have to rely on pushing the changed IP address from the S2 server on to the router.

Both S1 and S2 are running Win 2003 sp2 enterprise edition with SQL Server 2005 sp2 enterprise edition (build 9.00.3042.00).

Thanks in advance for your help...

shiva

Kindest Regards,
    Shivaram Challa
    (http://challa.net - Home of the "Excel to CSV converter & Browsepad applications".)
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• First I'd suggest contacting your Network Administrators to deal with flushing the router. I might be able to dig up the necessary commands, but I don't recommend just doing that since it will certainly affect more than just your server(s).

A fast work around would be to modify the Hosts File (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts). This is a Text file, but it is Hosts with no extension.

Open it in Notepad and follow the existing Syntax. It should be something like:

127.0.0.1 server.domain.com

Make the change and save the file. This will force the OS to use the specified IP Address when trying to connect to that name.

Regards, Irish 

• Hi Jeffrey

You just made my day!!!

Thanks a lot for this info.

Kindest Regards,
    Shivaram Challa
    (http://challa.net - Home of the "Excel to CSV converter & Browsepad applications".)
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Additionally, I'd get with the Network folks and figure out why your server is using a dynamic and not static IP address. If they say it must be handled via DHCP for their ease of maintenance tell them to set up a reservation for it.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply