can't copy Log file

• Hi, here's the full error message:

"Cannot copy dbClient_Log:Cannot read from the source file or disk"

I am trying to copy a sql 2000 datbase on to a cd rom.(DATA and LOG files)

I had previously been able to do this.

Now, the DATA file copies no problem, but the corresponding LOG file doesn't.

I can also confirm the following:

1)Both files are in the SAME directory

2)I can copy other log files that reside in this directory.

I have looked thru the "properties" of the problem LOG file and compared them with the other LOG files, but can see no difference.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks,

yogi.

PS, is this the correct forum 🙂

• Hi,

I still can't tranfer my LOG file.

Is there any other way that I can transfer my database from 1 machine to another?These machines are not networked.

Please help.

yogi

• Backup the database. Copy the backup file to the CD. Restore the database on the other machine.

Cheers,

- Mark

Cheers,
    - Mark

• howdy Mark

I am kind of new to this thing, but I did a 'Database complete' backup.

The backup completed successfuly.

I then tried to copy this file to cd rom and got the same error as before.

To be honest, all i need is to get the DATA file over to the other machine.Is there any way that I can avoid the LOG altogether?

ie, simply transfer the DATA file?

I already tried to simply transfer the DATA file, but the destination sql server wouldn't let me.

I have been reading up, and it seems that SQL 2000 machine should automatically create a LOG file if no LOG file exists for the DATA file that you are trying to attach...

apparently

I'm not really sure what I should do now. I would really like to know what "Cannot copy dbClient_Log:Cannot read from the source file or disk" ..actually means.

:-00

cheers,

yogi

• The file name "dbClient_Log" appears to be wrong. Are you sure you're not suppressing file extensions for known types in Explorer? The log file would, under normal circumstances, be called "dbClient_Log.LDF"

Cheers,

- Mark

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Hi mark.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really sure what:

"suppressing file extensions for known types in Explorer"...is but, When I run a search for the log file, it is indeed listed as you said, ie

"dbClient_Log.LDF"

However, the exact error message that I receive is:

"Cannot copy dbClient_Log:Cannot read from the source file or disk"

ie, the error message makes no reference to the ".LDF" extension.Maybe this is relevant?

As I said, I can copy over other log files from the same database no problem.I can't for the life of me see why this particular log file should be any different.

So, I'm still struggling.

All help mucho appreciated.

cheers,

yogi

• Hi Mark,

I have literally just found the answer.(midnight here in sunny Glasgow)I was trying to copy on to a cd ROM that didn't have enough space for the massive LDF file... aaah my shame.To be fair, the error message was I was getting was hardly the most informative.

aah well, it's a lesson learned.cheers for taking the time.

thanks,

yogiberr

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply