Cant find database sysfiles

• Hi,

I recently went on holidays and the Junior DBA moved one of the DB's from one drive on the server to another due to space.  Now I have a bigger space issue on that drive.

I have tried to shrink the datebase but it says it can't locate the files, but when I run Select * from sysfiles, they are there.  Can anyone help me out and tell why it won't let me run DBCC shrinkfile.

Thanks,

Kris

• In enterprise manager select the database in that press right click properties check the path.

• The path is fine, I've already checked that.  I was wondering if the old path was still being referenced in another table or database.

Thanks,

Kris

• Hi Rookie,

Pls tell us what is the exact error message when you try to shrink the database. Do you restart the whole sql server after the moving?

Regards,
    kokyan

• Hi,

does the content of sysfiles and sysfiles1 reflect the new location?

how about master.dbo.sysaltfiles, does the content correlate?

regards karl

Best regards
    karl

• I had the same problem where a DBCC SHRINKFILE command said it couldn't locate the entries in sysfiles even though they were there. Couldn't find a logical reason why but a stop and start of the SQL services fixed it.

• Cool, thanks everyone.  I have just got a new SQL server and have moved my databases and still had the problem.

I did what Karl suggested and the file name was different to the sysfiles tables so I tried that name and it worked.

Thanks again

Thanks,

Kris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply