Can't install SQL server 2005 Standard Edition on Windows XP professional SP3

• I tried to install SQL server 2005 Standard Edition on Windows XP professional SP3

while installin MSXML6 it gives error and whole installation used to fail.

But when i uninstalled the Windows XP professional service pack3 and tried the sql installation ,it is installed properly.

can anybody suggest whats the soln.?

Sanket Ahir
    Don't run behind the success, Try to be eligible & success will run behind u......

• Don't install SP3 for Windows XP.

What version of SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition are you trying to install?

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• SQL Standard is server software. It's not meant to be installed on XP, it's meant to be installed on Windows Server. There have been problems with installing it on desktop OSes all along, because it's not designed for it.

So I have to ask, why do so?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Not knowing why you want to install it on XP, Microsoft does approve it. I would be more prone to use Express editions on a desktop though.

However there are issues if you are trying to install SQL Server 2005 Standard edition with anything less than SP3 on a Windows XP SP3 computer. You would need to obtain the SQL Server Standard with SP3 install. Otherwise install SQL, then SP3 for SQL, then install SP3 for XP.

I do agree with GSquared though it was designed for server deployment. Windows XP restricts simultaneous connections to 10 users. So no more than 10 users will be allowed to connect into the SQL instance.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• I'm not saying it's somehow not allowed. I'm not saying it's not supported in any way. I'm saying it's got overkill issues. Express or Workgroup on XP, would make more sense to me. Standard or Enterprise on Windows Server, would make more sense. I just don't see a value to installing $10k worth of server software on a workstation. If you have databases that need Standard Edition features, you probably also need server quality hardware and a server OS. That's all I'm saying.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I had two different errors running the MSXML6 installer.

Error #1 - MSXML6 (msxlm6.msi) install fails because "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation ..."

Error #2 - "Installation of MSXML 6.0 Parser failed because a higher version is already exits on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version and then run MSXML 6.0 Parser Setup again."

So here's the steps that fixed both, and allowed msxml6.mxi to be inastlled... and subsequently sql msdn...

Install #1 - Run msxml6.msi (you can get this off SQL install CD (in D:\ENGLISH\SQL2005\DEVELOPER\SQL Server x86\Server\Setup\msxml6.msi) or download it)

Error #1 - MSXML6 (msxlm6.msi) install fails because "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation ..."

Fix #1 -

1. Open regedit.exe from "Start->Run"

2. Find the path via "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Installer -> Products"

3. Delete all the subkeys if they don't contain

anything (there is no "+" before their folder icons ) under "Products".

Install #2 - Re-run msxml6.msi

Error #2 - "Installation of MSXML 6.0 Parser failed because a higher version is

already exits on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version

and then run MSXML 6.0 Parser Setup again."

Fix #2

1. Open regedit from "Start->Run"

2. Find a folder similar to Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products\5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44

3. Select it and check the keys inside it to confirm it is the MSXML6 parser key

4. Copy key to text file (it may be different than the above)

5. Delete this key

6. Search through the rest of the registry, and delete all references (keys and folders) to this key.

(Note step 6 may not be necessary... you could try after step 5)

Install #3 try msxml6.msi installer for the third time... it works for me... four hours later.

• This problem could also crop up when attempting to install the SQL Server 2005 workstation components (management studio, business intelligence development studio, etc.) on Windows XP SP3. I ran into this problem a few weeks ago, the solution I used is documented here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968749

• Great link, thank you beargle. I have hit this problem before, when installing Developer Edition - which, I believe, is an approved version for an XP machine 😛

Andy

• Great Link resolved my problem

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply