Can''t Login To SQL Server without logging into Windows Server

• I have installed a SQL Server on a Windows 2003 Server and set it's security mode to Mixed Mode (SQL Server and Windows).

My network users can't login to SQL Server with their SQL Logins without logging into Windows Server using their Windows User Accounts.

Any Solutions?

• sql server forces windows authentication only when users don't have valid logins in the server! Check the user logins properties first....

btw - are these users outside the local network ?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Which type of logins you mean (Windows/SQL Server)?

My users have valid logins in SQL Server, but if they don't login using their Windows User Account, they can't login to SQL Server with their SQL Server Login Username/Password.

• I think the first question is Why WOULDN'T they be logged into their workstations???

Secondly, has the SQL Server been published to the Active Directory or summat like that??

• Let's explain the situation clearly.

I have 2 computers in my office which work together on a Wrokgroup (and not a Domain). I installed SQL Server on my workstation and set it's security mode to Mixed Mode.

When the other workstation tries to connect to my SQL Server using Username/Password which I defined for him in SQL Server, they can't login normally and receive an "access denied" message.

Then I added a user account in my Windows for him, and after he login to my Windows using this user account, he can connect to my SQL Server with their SQL Login.

Ther problem is that I don't want to use Windows Authentication at all, and just want to use SQL Authentication without need to passing Windows Authentication first.

Any Solutions?

• How are they connecting (Enterprise Manager, app)? Are you sure they are providingt he correct connection information whether it be the dialog box or a connection string?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• They use Enterprise Manager.

Yes, I'm sure that they provide correct information.

• If yours is the server and your friends' the client box, is the client box (or your friends login thereon) configured to have access rights to the server box? Will the server (OS) accept the "login message packet" to forward to the hosted SQL Server instance, or will it bounce it as coming from an "untrusted" source?

(I've little to no experience with workgroups, but would assume they're more awkward to configure than NT domains.)

Philip

• Perhaps the client machine will need to set up an alias for the server machine in the client's SQL Server Client Network Utility.

• SQL on your workstation?  hmm Its not SQL Server personal edition is it? This may casue issues with connections.

Francis

• When you say they login to your Windows system, how are they doing this? Are they mapping to a shared drive or something like that first? Do you have any IPSEC policies in place on any of these systems?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• When you say Personal edition has connection problems, How do you mean? Can the above be done using Personal edition on the client?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply