Can't restart SQL Server in single user mode

• I am preparing to restore our production DB.

In order to do it, I think I have to restore Master DB first. Based on I read the previous discussion about restoring Master DB, I should STOP SQL Server and RESTART SQL Server in single user mode via the command line: sqlservr.exe -c -m.However, I found I couldn't ever restart SQL Server in single user mode.

After I run this: sqlservr.exe -c -m, the command prompt is not coming back,and the message on the command screen stops by

"SQL Server's non-Unicode character set is: 'iso_1'(ID = 1)". Then I go to EM session, the SQL Server on my computer never start.In this case,of course,I can't restore Master DB from my backup.

1) After I run the command:

sqlservr.exe -c -m, what should heppen?

2) Is my process correct?

Do you have any ideas or sugestions?

Thank you!

• Sounds right, if you get a lot of feed on the command prompt window and the cursor does not return. However, use QA to attach. EM I do believe does not work properly and can cause issues. You should be doing a restore from QA or ISQL.

However, why do you need to restore the master first off? Are you suffering from issues linked to the master db or is it a praticular DB causing issues? If just one try restore of it instead first. Master is usually a last resort unless you are sure the issue comes from master itself.

• Process is correct, should leave a command window open with a line saying something about recovery being complete near the end. If you don't see that, then you can't proceed with the restore.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Our production site hosts SQL Server and web-based applications. My boss asked me to setup

another server by restoring SQL Server and applications from our backups.

I have no experience at all. Some articles suggests to restore system DBs first, and then user DBs. Is it correct?

Thanks for every reply.

• Depends on whether you need a perfect copy or not. If you're just want to mirror some databases, no need to restore master. Just do the restore (and then resolve the logins that will be mismatched). If you want everything, then you do need to restore master first, all your other db's will show as suspect, then you can restore them and all is well.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• If the command prompt is not coming back, then SQL is running in single user mode. Then you can restore master. If you do this through SQL EM, when backup is done, you will receive a dialog box indicating that your connection has been broken. This is normal. Reference Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q230568 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q230/5/68.ASP

Then restart SQL server in normal mode and restore system databases, then user databases.

• I appreciate everybody.

Your instructions are right. I did restore master from our backup. However, I come cross new problems.

After restored master, I can't make connection to SQL Server 7 in any way (EM, QA or SM).

I am trying to restore master, msdb, and an user DB, named xyz.

After started SQL Server in single user mode, I have two choices:

1) Restore master, msdb, and xyz one by one,

and then restart my server.

2) Restore master, and restart my server;

Restore msdb, and restart my server;

Restore xyz, and restart my server;

Would you tell me which way is correct? or please tell me what I should do in this case?

Thanks a lot

• I asked a stupid question, because Edwin Blackwood almost answered my question.

I did restore master successfully. Then I restart the server. But I can't restart SQL Server. The log file show me the reason.

"Database 'model' cannot be opened because some of the files could not be activated".

Why model DB is always in a bad status after restoring master?

Do you have any ideas about how to handle it?

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply