Cant shrink or reduce database size

• Hi Guys,

I have a database that I have just truncated the huge tables on the database and the size has now gone down to about 10GB, initial size was around 90GB.

Problem now is that after running series of shrink statements, the SQL command seems to run to quick and the size does not reduce at all. Is there anything I can do here.

dbcc shrinkfile(1,10000)

GO

dbcc shrinkdatabase('dbName',1)

What can i do here ?

• Hi Dean,

If your database is running in FULL recover mode the you probably need to back the transaction log as below to free your extra space, try:

BACKUP LOG WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

GO

...and then try to shrink your database again, if you can provide the results, may be able to provide some more info.

Cheers,

Dave

• DB is in simple recovery mode.

• Have some doubts here. You have cleared 80 GB of data.

What is your physical file size now?

BOL: DBCC SHRINKFILE does not shrink a file past the size needed to store the data in the file

use

exec sp_spaceused

what does the above give?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• DB Size 99984.25 MB

Unallocated space 89150.41 MB

I need to be able to reclaim all that unallocated space as these was space allocated to tables before, which I have now deleted.

Cheers

• I'm guessing a little, but did you literally truncate the tables or just delete a large percentage of the rows? If there are some rows left, maybe there is a lot of free space on the pages and rebuilding the indexes would compact them and allow the shrink to take some more space? If you literally did a truncate, then I don't think that would help.

I seem to remember something about not being able to shrink a file below it's original size, but I can't seem to find the reference, nor how to fix it. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Good Luck,

Chad

• Sorry - if you actually deleted the tables, it won't be the indexes.

Chad

• I did a truncate and that was all I done. Didnt run a delete.

I know SQL will not allow you to reduce size from GUI, but there must be a way around this.

• Dean,

See whether this applies to you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324432

There is a script in the article to see whether the shrink fails because of BLOBs in your DB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Did you confirm that it is the .mdf that has all the space in it (I believe sp_spaceused returns info for both log and data)? Is there only one .mdf and one .ldf file for the database? How is the 87GB split up between the .mdf and .ldf files? Even though you are in simple mode, there might be an uncommitted transaction way back that is keeping the log from freeing up space.

I also found the reference I was looking for in the BOL for DBCC ShrinkFile:

Use DBCC SHRINKFILE to shrink a file to a size that is less than the size specified when it was created. This resets the minimum file size to the new value.

But you already tried this, so I doubt it will help.

Chad

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply