CASE ISNULL

• Hi. I have would like to substitute NULL in query output with 0 (if possible).

I have tried:

(SELECT

SUM(CASE WHEN soi.ItemValue = NULL THEN 0 ELSE soi.ItemValue END)

WHERE CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0) AS 'QuoteValue',

= ISNULL returns error

An expression of non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected, near 'ISNULL'

If I run as code then NULL is still returned not 0. I also tried

SUM(CASE WHEN soi.ItemValue >= 0 THEN soi.ItemValue ELSE 0 END)

The above also returns NULL.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

Phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

• Why not use IsNull for that?

sum(isnull(soi.ItemValue, 0))

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi, I tried:

(SELECT SUM(isnull(soi.ItemValue,0))

CVWinProb.CustomFieldValueInteger AS WinProbability,

QuoteValue still returns NULL?

Basically what I am trying to do is sum the ItemValue where a field 'Option' is false. When the value is true NULL is returned. When the value is false the ItemValue is correctly aggregated.

Thanks,

Phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

• QuoteValue still returns NULL?

The reason caused null value is not by ISNULL function, it might come with tables join.

Post you complete codes here, it may help.

• Code as requested.

SELECT

so.SalesOrderId AS BidNumber,

u.FirstName,

u.LastName,

so.EffectiveDate AS Date,

c.CustomerName AS Customer,

Countries.CountryId AS DestinationSite,

soi.ItemDescription,CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit AS 'SystemOption',

(SELECT SUM(soi.ItemValue * CVWinProb.CustomFieldValueInteger)/100

WHERE CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0) AS 'QuoteFactoredValue',

soi.ItemValue AS 'IncludesOptionValue',

SUM(soi.ItemValue * CVWinProb.CustomFieldValueInteger)/100 AS 'FactoredValue',

so.DueDate AS OrderExpectedDate

FROM SalesOrderItems AS soi

INNER JOIN SalesOrders AS so ON soi.SalesOrder = so.SalesOrder

INNER JOIN Customers AS c ON so.Customer = c.Customer

INNER JOIN Countries ON c.Country = Countries.Country

INNER JOIN Users AS u ON so.CreatedUser = u.UserName

LEFT OUTER JOIN CustomValues AS CVWinProb

INNER JOIN CustomFields AS CFWinProb ON CVWinProb.CustomField = CFWinProb.CustomField

AND CFWinProb.CustomFieldId = 'WinProb'

AND CFWinProb.CustomFieldTable = 'SalesOrders'

ON so.SalesOrder = CVWinProb.RecordNumber

LEFT OUTER JOIN CustomValues AS CVOption

INNER JOIN CustomFields AS CFOption ON CVOption.CustomField = CFOption.CustomField

AND CFOption.CustomFieldId = 'Option'

AND CFOption.CustomFieldTable = 'SalesOrderItems'

ON soi.SalesOrderItem = CVOption.RecordNumber

WHERE so.SystemType = 'Q'

AND so.EffectiveDate BETWEEN '01 dec 2008' AND '08 dec 2008' --@StartDate AND @EndDate

AND c.CustomerName NOT LIKE 'FERNAU%'

GROUP BY so.SalesOrderId, u.LastName, u.FirstName, so.EffectiveDate, c.CustomerName, Countries.CountryId,

soi.ItemDescription,soi.ItemValue, so.DueDate,CVWinProb.CustomFieldValueInteger,

CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit

I have been experimenting so excuse the mess!

Many Thanks,

Phil.

Tommy Cooper

• I think richard is onto something here... without the entire query I'm guessing, but it looks like this could be some sort of correlated subquery directly in the subject line, but there's no join to make it correlated so it could just be returning null because of that...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I can see three WHERE's and only one FROM. You can only have one WHERE per FROM.

SELECT...

FROM...

WHERE...

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hi guys. I just had a play changing the joins. It did make a difference. Changing to

LEFT JOIN CustomValues AS CVOption

LEFT JOIN CustomFields AS CFOption ON CVOption.CustomField = CFOption.CustomField

returned more NULLS.

Still a novice when it comes to code so any values returned are a bonus πŸ™‚

Thanks,

Phil

Update: I have attached screen dump of sample output. Posting table structures would take me a while.

Tommy Cooper

• ON so.SalesOrder = CVWinProb.RecordNumber

are you sure the logic here are correct?

By the way, the more left or right join you have, the more nulls you may have.

• Yes. The app allows users to create custom fields that are then stored in tables CustomFields, CustomValues. The Order Header (SalesOrders) has a custom field 'WinProb', the Order Detail (SalesOrderDetails) has a custom field 'Option'. They link via the record number. So WinProb record number = SalesOrders.SalesOrder. Option record number = SalesOrderItems.SalesOrderItem.

Maybe I have to live with the NULLS?

Thanks,

Phil.

Tommy Cooper

• Hi Philip

The code you posted doesn't run, it generates the error message:

'Msg 8124, Level 16, State 1, Line 38

Multiple columns are specified in an aggregated expression containing an outer reference. If an expression being aggregated contains an outer reference, then that outer reference must be the only column referenced in the expression.'

If you comment out these two items from the SELECT list...

/*

*/

/*

WHERE CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0) AS 'QuoteFactoredValue',

*/

...then it runs.

Here's a sample data script, it would be right handy if you could put some more rows in and perhaps make the data a little more representative:

CREATE TABLE #SalesOrderItems (SalesOrder INT, SalesOrderItem INT, ItemDescription varchar(30), ItemValue MONEY)

INSERT INTO #SalesOrderItems (SalesOrder, SalesOrderItem, ItemDescription, ItemValue)

SELECT 1, 1, 'laser assemblers', 1.99

CREATE TABLE #SalesOrders (SalesOrderId INT, SalesOrder INT, Customer INT, CreatedUser VARCHAR(15), SystemType VARCHAR(1), EffectiveDate DATETIME, DueDate DATETIME)

INSERT INTO #SalesOrders (SalesOrderId, SalesOrder, Customer, CreatedUser, SystemType, EffectiveDate, DueDate)

SELECT 9, 1, 1, 'Philip Horan', 'Q', '06 dec 2008', GETDATE() UNION ALL

SELECT 9, 2, 1, 'Philip Horan', 'Q', '06 dec 2008', GETDATE()

CREATE TABLE #Customers (Customer INT, CustomerName VARCHAR(20), Country VARCHAR(15))

INSERT INTO #Customers (Customer, CustomerName, Country)

SELECT 1, 'MyBestCustomer', 'Poland'

CREATE TABLE #Countries (CountryId INT, Country VARCHAR(15))

INSERT INTO #Countries (CountryId, Country)

SELECT 1, 'Poland'

CREATE TABLE #Users (UserName VARCHAR(15), FirstName VARCHAR(15), LastName VARCHAR(15))

INSERT INTO #Users (UserName, FirstName, LastName)

SELECT 'Philip Horan', 'Philip', 'Horan'

CREATE TABLE #CustomValues (CustomField INT, RecordNumber INT, CustomFieldValueBit INT, CustomFieldValueInteger INT)

INSERT INTO #CustomValues (CustomField, RecordNumber, CustomFieldValueBit, CustomFieldValueInteger)

SELECT 1, 1, 1, 7

CREATE TABLE #CustomFields (CustomField INT, CustomFieldId VARCHAR(15), CustomFieldTable VARCHAR(15)) -- CustomField

INSERT INTO #CustomFields (CustomField, CustomFieldId, CustomFieldTable)

SELECT 1, 'WinProb', 'SalesOrders'

Now, where were we?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I think you are getting NULLs because the you don't have any records where value of CustomFieldValueBit is 0...

REPLACE this

WITH

SUM( ( CASE WHEN CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0 THEN ISNULL( soi.ItemValue, 0 ) ELSE 0 END ) ) AS 'QuoteValue',

The same way you have replace the other columns as well....

--Ramesh

• Chris my code runs without error? What can I do to help? Let me explain further. The user may enter multiple custom fields on the app screens (SalesOrders / SalesOrderDetails / PurchaseOrders etc..). The custom field value is related to a specific screen (program). If they enter multiple fields that are require Yes/No then these values are all saved to CustomFieldValueBit in table CustomValues. So if you want to return values for a specific CustomField you have to do a little bit more work in the query:

--Sales Order Screen has multiple custom fields that are boolean Option + WinProb

--So to return only these values from table CustomValues I must do the following:

INNER JOIN CustomFields AS CFWinProb ON CVWinProb.CustomField = CFWinProb.CustomField

INNER JOIN CustomFields AS CFOption ON CVOption.CustomField = CFOption.CustomField

Not sure that helps....

Ramesh your code did the job.

WHERE CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0) AS 'QuoteValue1',

SUM( ( CASE WHEN CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0 THEN ISNULL( soi.ItemValue, 0 ) ELSE 0 END ) ) AS 'QuoteValue2',

Is there away to return just one column 'QuoteValue'?

I could make it a CTE? Then SELECT QuoteValue2 FROM CTE but there is probably a better way πŸ™‚

Thanks for your efforts guys.

Phil.

Tommy Cooper

• Guys my code now looks as follows:

WITH BidReport AS

(

SELECT

so.SalesOrderId AS BidNumber,

u.FirstName AS FirstName,

u.LastName AS LastName,

so.EffectiveDate AS Date,

c.CustomerName AS Customer,

Countries.CountryId AS DestinationSite,

soi.ItemDescription,CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit AS 'SystemOption',

CVWinProb.CustomFieldValueInteger AS WinProbabilityPercent,

SUM( ( CASE WHEN CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0 THEN ISNULL( soi.ItemValue, 0 ) ELSE 0 END ) ) AS 'QuoteValue2',

WHERE CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0) AS 'QuoteFactoredValue1',

SUM((CASE WHEN CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit = 0 THEN ISNULL (soi.ItemValue * CVWinProb.CustomFieldValueInteger,0)/100 ELSE 0 END)) AS 'QuoteFactoredValue2',

soi.ItemValue AS 'IncludesOptionValue',

SUM(soi.ItemValue * CVWinProb.CustomFieldValueInteger)/100 AS 'FactoredValue',

so.DueDate AS OrderExpectedDate

FROM SalesOrderItems AS soi

INNER JOIN SalesOrders AS so ON soi.SalesOrder = so.SalesOrder

INNER JOIN Customers AS c ON so.Customer = c.Customer

INNER JOIN Countries ON c.Country = Countries.Country

INNER JOIN Users AS u ON so.CreatedUser = u.UserName

WHERE so.SystemType = 'Q'

AND so.EffectiveDate BETWEEN '01 dec 2008' AND '08 dec 2008' --@StartDate AND @EndDate

GROUP BY so.SalesOrderId, u.LastName, u.FirstName, so.EffectiveDate, c.CustomerName, Countries.CountryId,

soi.ItemDescription,soi.ItemValue, so.DueDate,CVWinProb.CustomFieldValueInteger,

CVOption.CustomFieldValueBit

)

SELECT BidNumber,FirstName,LastName,SystemOption,QuoteValue2,WinProbabilityPercent,QuoteFactoredValue2,IncludesOptionValue,FactoredValue,

Date,Customer,DestinationSite

FROM BidReport

I have attached screen dump of output.

Thanks,

Phil.

Tommy Cooper

• Philip Horan (1/31/2009)

Chris my code runs without error? What can I do to help? Let me explain further. The user may enter multiple custom fields on the app screens (SalesOrders / SalesOrderDetails / PurchaseOrders etc..). The custom field value is related to a specific screen (program). If they enter multiple fields that are require Yes/No then these values are all saved to CustomFieldValueBit in table CustomValues. So if you want to return values for a specific CustomField you have to do a little bit more work in the query:

--Sales Order Screen has multiple custom fields that are boolean Option + WinProb

--So to return only these values from table CustomValues I must do the following:

Not sure that helps....

Ramesh your code did the job.

Is there away to return just one column 'QuoteValue'?

I could make it a CTE? Then SELECT QuoteValue2 FROM CTE but there is probably a better way πŸ™‚

Thanks for your efforts guys.

Phil.

Phil, I ran the code against a SQL2k server, my bad.

So are QuoteValue1 and QuoteValue2 supposed to generate the same values?

What about QuoteFactoredValue1 and QuoteFactoredValue2?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply