Casing For Built-In Function Names

• Sorry for the extremely elementary question but:

I'm rather a newbie with SQL Server and am trying out SQL Express 2008 R2.

I have the option selected for Built-in Function names to be capitalize (under Options --> Transact-SQL --> Intellisense) but it doesn't seem to have an affect.

Is there a way to have keywords like 'SELECT' be automatically capitalized in the editor in SQL Express, or is that functionality non existent?

• Michael.D (8/4/2010)

Sorry for the extremely elementary question but:

I'm rather a newbie with SQL Server and am trying out SQL Express 2008 R2.

I have the option selected for Built-in Function names to be capitalize (under Options --> Transact-SQL --> Intellisense) but it doesn't seem to have an affect.

Is there a way to have keywords like 'SELECT' be automatically capitalized in the editor in SQL Express, or is that functionality non existent?

No... no such option. Sorry. There are some 3rd party solutions and some are free. Me? I've gotten really good on the shift key with my left pinky. 😀 Not being sarcastic either... it just takes a little practice and pretty soon you won't even notice your doing it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks, Jeff.

That's what I figured.

Out of curiosity, does it work as advertised in say, the Developer or Enterprise editions?

What a stupid little nicety to disable in the free version. Hell, even QBASIC would format your code for you.

-Michael.

• Michael.D (8/5/2010)

Thanks, Jeff.

That's what I figured.

Out of curiosity, does it work as advertised in say, the Developer or Enterprise editions?

What a stupid little nicety to disable in the free version. Hell, even QBASIC would format your code for you.

-Michael.

No... there's no formatting of the code even in the Enterprise edition except when you gen the code for a table... and I had the way that was done.

SSMS is mostly totally freeform. I actually like it that way because I tend to format things totally differently than anyone else. Shoot... I don't even like Intellisense... it gets in the way.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• You might want to try www.ssmstoolspack.com

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply