Catching ''PRINTS'' from a program

• Hi, im a noob to sqlServer and i need some help with the PRINT command. Lets say that i neeed a progress bar for a procedure which takes a while to execute. The only way i thought of doing it is by PRINT ing the progres something like 1,2,3,4....

But my program doesnt catch those messages. I've read in help that sql server 7 sends them as informational messages but i dont catch them. I use Delphi7 as IDE and Ado components for Database jobs.

I need a way to get the messages from the print ... or just get the progress some other way.

• I'm not a Delphi programmer, but you should be able to use the ADO Connection's Error collection to catch your messages.

In VB you could use the following routine, which I’m sure you could modify to run asynchronously:

' Loop through the recordsets displaying any messages, and getting the error code and request if if available

Do While Not rsRequest Is Nothing

Select Case rsRequest.State

Case 0 ' adStateClosed

If objConn.Errors.Count > 0 Then

For Each adoErr In objConn.Errors

' Display messages/errors

Debug.Print adoErr.Description

Next

End If

Set rsRequest = rsRequest.NextRecordset

Case 1 ' adStateOpen

If Not rsRequest.EOF Then

' Get the Field Data

For Each adoField In rsRequest.Fields

Debug.Print adoField.Name & "=" & adoField.Value

Next

End If

Set rsRequest = rsRequest.NextRecordset

Case Else ' adStateConnecting, adStateExecuting, adStateFetching

' Wait

DoEvents

End Select

Loop

• thank you for the post, but the problem is that if i raiserror smaller then 16 , i dont get any error (just an informative message), if i make it a 16 i will get a nasty error on my screen but i think i can catch it, and also my stored procedure will stop working. ...

will just return ...

• This routine should work with messages created by PRINT statements, so you don't need to RAISERROR().  It's just that in ADO it is confusingly named the Errors collection.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply