Certification strategy

• Hello:

I am wondering if I should take SQL 2K or wait for SQL 2005 certification. At my company we have SQL 2K and we will not be migrating to SQL 2005 until couple years. So that being the case I am leaning towards SQL 2K.

Can someone explain their strategy that worked for them. How long it took for you to get certified. I checked out Microsoft's site (link) for the certification info.

I have decided to take Exam 70–228, 70–229, 70–290 & 70-293. How hard are the last two tests?

Thank you.

• If you are happy with your employer and your employer is happy with you, why go for certification anyway? What are your reasons for wanting certification?

To be certified on SQL 2K at this time would be wasted effort if you are already familiar with SQL 2K and give your employer value. Furthermore, an obsolete cert doesn't help your future prospects.

Studying for a SQL 2005 cert would at least stretch your current knowledge and boost your future prospects. It seems that you could wait until that would be useful to you, either when your employer wants someone knowledgeable or you need to find another job.

• I agree with Peter in that getting SQL 2005 certifications would reinforce some of your current knowledge while keeping you up to date on the current technologies, therefore boosting your value to the company.

However, I do not agree that, as Peter put it, "If you are happy with your employer and your employer is happy with you, why go for certification?" I would say that keeping up with current technologies is part of any IT job.

I believe that certification is a way to show others that you have displayed some knowledge regarding certain subjects. That doesn't mean you are better than someone without the certification.

Plus some companies will pay for the testing or training material so, if it's free then why not. Also, sometimes they give bonuses or raises when you complete major certifications such as MCDBA.

Kevin

• From a Recruiter's Perspective: 🙂

If you plan on going back into the market for employment within the next few years, I would go ahead and get the certification (2005 Yukon). I head Recruiting for SQL Technologies within my company and have been seeing a huge increase in the demand for SQL Server experience. Wether it be DBA, Database Developer, Support Analyst, or SQL Consultant.

Several large clients use SQL 2000 and have said that they plan on migrating to Yukon when they are able to. I believe that this will push an even higher demand for Consultants with Yukon experience. Especially in migration and implementation. There are also several software releases that will be enhanced by SQL, and again I believe that will encourage demand as well.

Just my two cents, hope it is helpful, and good luck. 🙂

Amanda Edwards

Technical Recruiter

BluWater Consulting, Inc.

amanda.edwards@bluwater.com

• I too had these same questions, and wanted to send this thread back to the top to see if any others had any more feedback. All of our DB's are on 2K, but we've already installed a few development instances for new projects to move forward on. I have a few Comptia certs but no Microsoft. I'm wondering should I "waste" my time on the 2K exams over the course of the next year, and then have to take more upgrade tests on 2005. Or should I just proceed with 2005 tests as they are release.

Right now I'm leaning towards just pushing forward with 2005 as they are released. Any more thoughts? Especially from folks like Amanda, who recruit the rest of us .

• Yeah, same issues here. I already passed 70-228 2 months ago, should I go ahead with 70-229 or just wait till the new exams ?

So for me is the question, will the upgrade exams to the new MCT certification be easier/shorter than doing the new MCT from the start ?

• From what I read on the MS training site, the only upgrade exam will be to upgrade MCDBA to the new MC IT Professional: Database Administrator, so unless you have all 4 required exams for MCDBA you won't be gaining anything.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm already MCSE 2000 and 2003, so it should be the last exam. Got a possible job switch ahead, I think my choice will depend on that. It's either MCDBA or CCNA (and more).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply