Certifications.

• I've worked with SQL Sever from SS 2000 to 2008. But, I've never been formally trained. Any suggestions on training and a certification plan? Do I get training classes first? Or, do I just study up for the certification and hope to pass the tests? And, if it is training, any suggestions as to who is worth their salt?

Thanks.

• Please refer below link

URL : http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-overview.aspx

Hands-on in technology and product documentation is sufficient to take up certification.Also Microsoft provides lot of books and tutorials as well.

All the best.

• Hi SQL DBA

I am also working from sql 2000 version... i have around 5+ years experience in SQL Server DBA and around 2+ years exp in DB2 DBA.

According my experience, Self learning is the best option to become exceptional DBA

Best source of Learning

1) Books online

2) SQL Server Central forum , articles, books

3) SQL Server Performance

4) SQL CAT

5) SQL PASS webcasts

6) Microsoft Books for MCTC, MCITP

7) MVP are having their own blogs where they are sharing their experience and providing solution

So i recommendatation , first list out the topic which u feel like u need more knowledge, browse in the internet in above mentioned source and explore the diffrenct information available for the particular technical topic, and after learning ,try to implement the same in TEST server

Once u gain confidence, provide the recommendation to customer to impletement the same in your environment based on requirement.

All the best to you all

Happy learning.

Regards

Kokila K

• Self-study has always worked best for me as I tend to forget class-taught items a week after the class unless I actually practice them.

Getting books and working through the exercises also works.

The question is, do you actually need formal training / certification? If you're able to get jobs without it, and raises don't depend on it, why are you worrying?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• As someone who had to look at tons and tons of resumes for hiring DBAs, I look for experience, not certification or formal education. I care about what you know and what you've done, not where that knowledge came from. Understand though, I don't have formal training, a degree, or a single certification, so I might not be the best one to comment on this.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Don't bother with the certs. Concentrate on educating yourself. I get more from the likes of brentozar.com than I ever did from cert books. I bought scott whigham's vids on learnsql.com and play them on my android phone when I'm travelling to work. also check out the quest live sessions on youtube.

• I would recommend studying for it yourself with the help of one of the books, and then book an exam with a second shot. So you can take the exam and if you fail (though you may well pass) you can go back and cover the areas you were missing and also you will have a feel for the exam format. Then take the exam the second time for free and pass..

• I recently passed two SQL 2008 certs for Business Intellgence, and Database Development. For both exams I read the Exam Tookit books from Microsoft press and purchased practice test from Transcender. I passed both exams on 1 try, but found them challenging. However, those two items are all I used to prepare.

For reference I had about 2+ years of experience but it wasn't doing super challenging work, so I wasn't really a guru going into this.

For those who say you don't need certs, I'll completely agree that I've benefited the most from hands on experience, and that you can certainly earn a cert by just cramming and not really have a strong SQL background. But, lot's of professions either require it, or value it highly. It really can't hurt to add these to your resume (especially if work pays the cost).

• I should add that I'm not against certs (see my .sig), but if you're going to take the time to study and sit for them, make sure they are worth your while. That they actually add something to your professional value.

I came from a non-IT background. I needed those certs in order to open doors for me. I continue getting them because I learn things from studying for the exams that I don't have the opportunity to learn on the job. Then, later on, something that came up in an exam suddenly proves to be relevant to a problem we're having at the office... so, to me, they do have worth.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I like doing certifications, because it forces me to study things that I may not encounter in my day-to-day work. I agree that there are plenty of other ways of studying things, but the structure inherent in a certification is really useful. I usually start with a Microsoft of Sybex study guide, and then extend my reading to BOL and various blogs. I've never been on a course though, so I can't comment on their usefulness.

The other nice things about certifications is that if your employer needs them to get Microsoft Silver or Gold competencies you might be use them to get a raise!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply