challenging query to reorder rows on condition

• Hi,

Some background:

I have a school. School have classrooms. Classrooms are divided into various sections (Section A, Section B and so on) . Sections have subsections. Every student is allocated a rollnumber(unique) in that subsection/section. However student is also given a choice to specify his own roll(DesiredRoll) in that section. If more than one student choose the same desired roll no in that subsection/section, there is a [TrackingNo] field that then starts keeping a count.

I have two tables : Students and StuHistory. The structure of the Student table is as follows :

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[Student]') AND type in (N'U'))

BEGIN

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Student](

[RID] [int] NOT NULL,

[Class] [int] NULL,

[Section] [char](1) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,

[SubSection] [int] NULL,

[RollNo] [int] NULL,

[DesiredRoll] [int] NULL,

[TrackingNo] [int] NULL,

[Original_rollno] [int] NULL,

[StudentStatus] [int] NULL

)

END

GO

For the first unique desired roll no in that subsection/section the tracking no is always 0.

[StudentStatus] represents the following : (-1 for deleted, 0 for edited, 1 for newly inserted).

After every fortnight, i have to run a batchquery that does the following:

1. all students marked with -1 are moved to a table called StuHistory which has the same structure as that of Student.

2. Now oncethe -1 status students are moved, there will be a gap in the roll no. I want to reallocate the rollnos now, where rollnos = desired roll no taking into consideration the trackingno

So if 4 students have chosen the desired roll no as 5 and their current roll no is scattered in a subsection lets say 7, 10, 14,16, then while rearranging they will be together(grouped by subsection/section) and will be allocated roll no's 5,6,7,8. The other students will be moved down based on their desired roll nos. Over here i have to also fill the gaps caused because of the students who were deleted.

How do i write query for this? I have been struggling.

Script :

INSERT [dbo].[Student] ([RID], [Class], [Section], [SubSection], [RollNo], [DesiredRoll], [TrackingNo], [Original_rollno],  [StudentStatus] )

VALUES (1, 1, N'A', 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1)

INSERT [dbo].[Student] ([RID], [Class], [Section], [SubSection], [RollNo], [DesiredRoll], [TrackingNo], [Original_rollno],  [StudentStatus] )

VALUES (2, 1, N'A', 1, 2, 2, 0, 0, 1)

VALUES (3, 1, N'A', 1, 3, 1, 1,0,1)

VALUES (4, 1, N'A', 12, 1, 1, 0,-1)

VALUES (5, 1, N'A', 12, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1)

VALUES (6, 1, N'A', 12, 3, 2, 0, 0, 1)

VALUES (7, 1, N'B', 5, 1, 3, 0, 0, 1)

VALUES (8, 1, N'B', 5, 2, 3, 1, 0 ,1)

VALUES (9, 1, N'B', 5, 3, 3, 2, 0, 1)

VALUES (10, 1, N'B', 5, 4, 2, 0, 0, 1)

VALUES (11, 1, N'B', 5, 5, 2, 1, 0, 1)

VALUES (12, 1, N'B', 10, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1)

VALUES (13, 1, N'B', 10, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1 )

VALUES (14, 1, N'B', 10, 3, 1, 2, 0, -1)

VALUES (15, 1, N'B', 10, 4, 2, 0, 0, 1)

Thanks.

• Asked and answered here

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=88129

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply