Change DB to Restoring state

• Now, the DB is in SIMPLE recovery mode without any backup. The traditional way is, 
    1. Change it to FULL recovery mode
    2. FULL Backup DB
    3. Backup Log with norecovery 

When DB is huge, it does take much time. Is there any other way by which we can quickly change its status to Restoring?

GASQL.com - Focus on Database and Cloud

• Alexander Zhang - Tuesday, April 10, 2018 4:21 PM

Now, the DB is in SIMPLE recovery mode without any backup. The traditional way is, 
    2. FULL Backup DB

When DB is huge, it does take much time. Is there any other way by which we can quickly change its status to Restoring?

I'm sorry, but what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

• Why on earth would you change a database in simple recovery to full in order to backup the log, which is only going to contain transactions that haven't yet truncated or completed? If they've completed, they'll truncate at the next checkpoint. If you're trying to somehow force the checkpoint, just issue the checkpoint command. I'm very confused by what you're trying to do here, along with Lynn.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Alexander Zhang - Tuesday, April 10, 2018 4:21 PM

Now, the DB is in SIMPLE recovery mode without any backup. The traditional way is, 
    2. FULL Backup DB

what is it you are trying to accomplish, the post title suggests something different

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Lynn and Grant, Thanks a lot for your comments. I don't have anything big behind this question. Actually, I'm trying to dig deep on the different behaviors among diff DB status. So that, I would like to set my testdb(big in simple mode without any backup) to diff states quickly. You know, it's not hard to switch it to ONLINE, OFFLINE, SUSPECT, RECOVERING, RECOVERING PENDING or EMERGENCY. When I try to change it to Restoring, my steps mentioned above do work, but take long. I'm wondering if there is any other way to make it happen easily.

• Alexander Zhang - Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:30 AM

Lynn and Grant, Thanks a lot for your comments. I don't have anything big behind this question. Actually, I'm trying to dig deep on the different behaviors among diff DB status. So that, I would like to set my testdb(big in simple mode without any backup) to diff states quickly. You know, it's not hard to switch it to ONLINE, OFFLINE, SUSPECT, RECOVERING, RECOVERING PENDING or EMERGENCY. When I try to change it to Restoring, my steps mentioned above do work, but take long. I'm wondering if there is any other way to make it happen easily.

Recovering assumes that the database is in a state capable of restoring additional log backups.  You could leave a database in recovery for additional restores of differential backups, but you lose that once you take a full backup on the source database.  So again, what are you trying to accomplish?  I still don't have a good understanding here.

• Alexander Zhang - Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:30 AM

Lynn and Grant, Thanks a lot for your comments. I don't have anything big behind this question. Actually, I'm trying to dig deep on the different behaviors among diff DB status. So that, I would like to set my testdb(big in simple mode without any backup) to diff states quickly. You know, it's not hard to switch it to ONLINE, OFFLINE, SUSPECT, RECOVERING, RECOVERING PENDING or EMERGENCY. When I try to change it to Restoring, my steps mentioned above do work, but take long. I'm wondering if there is any other way to make it happen easily.

The only reasons to do this are to either insure you have a tail-log backup prior to restoring over the database - or to insure no further operations are performed on that database after the final log backup has been taken (e.g. migration of database to new instance).

Since this can only be done as a tail-log backup - then the database must be in a recovery model that allows transaction log backups to be performed.  The only option you have available is to switch to full or bulk recovery models, perform a full backup - then initiate the tail-log backup.

Note: if the database is in simple recovery model - then you are not concerned about losing a days worth of transactions, so changing to full - performing a new backup - then performing a tail-log backup is quite useless other than taking up resources and time.  If you are concerned about updates - then put the database into single-user (or restricted), backup the database - then take the database offline.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Looks no shortcut. Thanks guys.

• BTW, there is no specific purpose, but for some unreasonable and stupid curiosity:-)

• Alexander Zhang - Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:36 PM

BTW, there is no specific purpose, but for some unreasonable and stupid curiosity:-)

Have fun.

Maybe go with smaller data sets to start with.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply