Change Management \ Version Control Plug-In for SQL Server?

• Don't buy visual source safe, it blows chunks, badly. Really.

If you want a simple audit trail, write a CLR DDL trigger which scripts out the changed object and saves it somewhere, along with information pertaining to who ran the change and when.

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

• Matt Whitfield (9/22/2009)

Don't buy visual source safe, it blows chunks, badly. Really.

If you want a simple audit trail, write a CLR DDL trigger which scripts out the changed object and saves it somewhere, along with information pertaining to who ran the change and when.

VSS isn't terrible, but it isn't great either, especially if you have to pay for it. There are a lot of alternatives, all of my favorites use SQL as a backend, I think that is important. VSS uses the file system and I have never been happy about that..

CEWII

• Elliott W (9/22/2009)

VSS isn't terrible, but it isn't great either, especially if you have to pay for it. There are a lot of alternatives, all of my favorites use SQL as a backend, I think that is important. VSS uses the file system and I have never been happy about that..

CEWII

Has VSS honestly never corrupted on you? And you know every single one of those files in the data directory is a tiny MS Access database waiting to go wrong, right?

My blog[/url]

Elliott W (9/22/2009)

CEWII

Has VSS honestly never corrupted on you? And you know every single one of those files in the data directory is a tiny MS Access database waiting to go wrong, right?

Never on my purely SQL VSS instances, but a couple times I did on the ones we used for .Net projects. The bigger it got the worse it gets.

It wasn't great, but I had issues with others as well.. The most stable ones have been backed by databases. I have had pretty good experiences with TFS and Vault. I have been working with ClearCase and I hate that one, it usually works but not always and when it gets freaky it takes time to sort out.

CEWII

• Elliott W (9/22/2009)

I have had pretty good experiences with TFS and Vault. I have been working with ClearCase and I hate that one, it usually works but not always and when it gets freaky it takes time to sort out.

I'm using SubVersion at the moment, and a lot of people have said good things about Git - both of which are free...

My blog[/url]

Elliott W (9/22/2009)

I have had pretty good experiences with TFS and Vault. I have been working with ClearCase and I hate that one, it usually works but not always and when it gets freaky it takes time to sort out.

I'm using SubVersion at the moment, and a lot of people have said good things about Git - both of which are free...

There is a fork of it that I like better, but I can't remember its name..

CEWII

• Let me know if you do remember - would love to check it out 😀

My blog[/url]

• Elliott W (9/3/2009)....

It doesn't get versioned until it has already changed in the database no less. I don't think I like that. Non table objects don't bother me as much but tables.. I don't know about that. Also I might compile a sproc 30 times as I'm building and testing it, those are all different versions?

I see this as more of an audit tool than version control, at least at first glance.. I will however give it a further glance.

CEWII

Once something has changed in the database, it gets versioned, correct. that's why usually we work with a development server, in which things change rapidly. 'Randolph' scans the server and puts into your versioning solution what was changed. So you can easily browse all the versions and selectively roll development back in time or roll forward (onto QA\Production) what you select to roll.

If you compile 30 times, it doesn't get versioned 30 times, of course. This is a text based comparison. Unless you change something meaningful in your code it doesn't get versioned (its smart enough to ignore whitespaces and such)

You can have QA and Production server monitored as well, no problem. You basically get a hierarchical tree of all your servers\databases.

--------

SQL Data compare , Synchronize data from diffrent surces, and many other SQL tools[/url].

• In reference to the compiled 30 times point..

I rarely compile the sproc without there being other than whitespace changes. I really like explicitly saying "this is the version I want you to archive", not all the iterative versions. It might be ok for some, but I don't like it.

Source Control is a discipline, we should make it as easy as reasonable but need to always be aware of it and its importance..

CEWII

• Hi David,

I have been working with version control and SQL server databases for a number of years, and have extensive experience with Visual Studio for Database professionals.

I have spent the previous year putting together an open-source tool to help with version control.

The basic premise of is exactly what you are talking about - script every object to disk, and then version control the files with Subversion, VSS, TFS etc.

What is lacking in this space, however, is a tool to automatically script everything, and build an installation script that runs each of these files in the correct order to effectively re-create a database from source.

Have a look at http://dbsourcetools.codeplex.com.

DBSourceTools also allows for scripting of data - and will load the data required dynamically.

I have also included a Schema Comparison Engine (thanks to dbdiff).

Let me know what you think.

- Nathan.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply