Change Object Ownership

• Hi All,

is there any way I can change the owner of all the objects in my database in one go.

there is a stored procedure for changing individual object ownership, but we have around 3000 objects whose owner needs to be changed. If I do this one by one then it would be very time consuming..

Thanks in advance

• Possibly you can just update the system tables, havent tried to know if there gotchas looming. Just about as easy to just use a cursor to loop through - remember to exclude system objects!

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• I do not want to update the sytem tables. I just want to update the user table owner.

quote:

Possibly you can just update the system tables, havent tried to know if there gotchas looming. Just about as easy to just use a cursor to loop through - remember to exclude system objects!

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Its not possible but you can write your own script to do at one go. And you can use this script in any database and server.

I am just giving outline of the SQL which will generate the batch for me to change the ownership of all objects which are not owned by dbo.

select 'exec sp_changeobjectowner ' + name + ', dbo' from sysobjects where type in ('U','P','V') and uid <> 1

Go

Run the output of the query as a batch.

• Hi ...

Just a warning to BE VERY CAREFUL when messing with object ownerships in SQL. I once changed a bunch of table ownerships in my dB from dbo to a role and it was a total catastrophe. No-one was able to access them, not even sa. The only solution was to restore the dB from the previous nights backup.

Cheers

• Select 'print '' object : ' + u.name + '.' + o.name + ''' ' + char(13) + ' go '+ char(13)

+ 'Sp_changeobjectowner ''' + u.name + '.' + o.name + ' '', ''NewSchema'' ' + char(13) + ' go '

from sysobjects o

inner join sysusers u

on (o.uid = u.uid)

where o.xtype in ('p', 'u', 'v') -- p = procedures, u = usertables , v = userviews

and u.name like 'oldschema%'

and o.name not in ('dtproperties', 'whatever you want to exclude')

order by u.name, o.name

This wil not correct your DTSses. There you should do a save-as :(.

If you run packages in sqlagent, you'll also have to adjust the name/Dts-id overthere.

Doublecheck views and sp's so the correct schema is used. (your view-definition-text will not be altered by sp_changeobjectowner )

Always try to use the propre system-sp's befor you mess with the systemtables.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Since your just changing table owners, SQLDMO will work also. The nice thing about using SQLDMO, is that you can create it as a SQL Agent job (ActiveX/VBScript), which can be scheduled or run as needed

SET oServer = CreateObject("SQLDMO.SQLServer")

oServer.LoginSecure = True

oServer.Connect "MySQLServer"

SET oDatabase = oServer.Databases("MyDB")

FOR EACH oTable IN oDatabase.Tables

IF oTable.Owner <> "dbo" THEN

oTable.Owner = "dbo"

END IF

NEXT

SET oTable = Nothing

SET oDatabase = Nothing

SET oServer = Nothing

• I have been going through the same thing. I did a mix of manually creating the change owner and a couple of automated scripts.

One problem I had was that the problem owner owned the PK on a number of tables. For some reason the SP_Changeobjectowner would not allow me to change those objects.

So I tried to drop them via EM, figuring I could just recreate them. I kept getting messages that it couldn't drop the PK as it was a contraint, but showed no contraints.

I was a pain, but I basically cloned the tables, there was only 5 or 6, dropped the originals, and renamed the clones to the proper name.

Never figured out why I could DROP or change owner on the PKs, but I did get around it.

KlK, MCSE

KlK

• kknudson,

Did you have DRI (foreign keys) ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply