Change the clustered Index on a replicated table

• Hi All,

I need to change the clustered index on a a table that is involved in peer to peer replication.

for ex : The clustered index is on column A. I need to change it to column B

What is the best way to do it?

• Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'll need to break your replication first, then drop and recreate the clustered index, then apply the snapshot and resync.

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • Thanks for the response.

Can it be Done without the Resync?

• Yes. You can apply the same changes across each subscriber by dropping and recreating the index on each. When you re-initialize the replications, skip the syncronization. Assuming no changes at the publisher.

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • The table on the subscriber can have any indexing strategy that is required for the intended use of the table on the subscriber. If you want a different clustering index - that is fine. The only logical restriction is that any constraints on the subscriber need to be compatible with the data that is coming from the publisher (e.g. a unique constraint on the subscriber but not on the publisher which could cause inserts and updates to fail).

To make a change, stop the distribution agent, change the definition of the table and assuming everything went OK and all the data remained, restart the distribution agent. There is no need to re-initalise etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply