changing ALL font sizes on a chart

• Hello

A chart comprises of multiple elements(x axis, y axis, header etc.)

I can amend the font size (or colour, type etc.) one element at a time

I there a way to amend them all at once

Ctrl and select doesn't seem to work

A step further

I have multiple charts on one report

Could I amend all elements on all charts?

Thanks

- Damian

• One way to approach this is to do it in the code.First back up your report. Then, in SSDT or BIDS (whichever you're using), you could select "View Code" then locate the XML for the code for the chart that you want to change and do a find/replace.

Another way to handle this is what I call the pseudo-CSS approach. SSRS does not let you easily handle stuff like this using CSS but you can set each item in the chart to get it's formatting values from a dataset. You create a table to store your formatting, then point a dataset to that, then use that dataset as the source of the formatting - you would only need to change the value once in a table and the report would automatically updated.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• You could open the RDL in an XML editor (Notepad++ works great for that), and use search-and-replace in there.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks for the responses Gus and Alan

I was hoping to be able to do this without editing XML but that seems to be the only way

I've use the dataset approach before for corporate colour schemes

Trouble is, I've still got to go into each property and amend it to point to the dataset

It does mean that if I want to make a change to one property throughout then all I do is change a single database table value

Unless there's another way?

Thanks

- Damian

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply