Changing ConnectionString at runtime

• Hi,

My SSIS package has a data flow task that uses a data source whose connection string property changes at runtime. The OLEDB source was validated at design time connecting to an Oracle database. Before performing the data flow task I've a script that changes the connectionstring value of the OLEDB source.

dataSource = dv(0)("sqlStatement_Connection_ServerName").ToString()

databaseName = dv(0)("sqlStatement_Connection_InitialCatalog").ToString()

userId = dv(0)("sqlStatement_Connection_UserName").ToString

password = dv(0)("sqlStatement_Connection_Password").ToString

provider = dv(0)("sqlStatement_Connection_Type").ToString

connectionString = "Data Source=" + dataSource + ";User ID=" + userId + ";Password=" + password + ";Provider=" + provider + ";"

If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(databaseName) Then

''--The initial catalog would be used only if the connection is made to a SQL database.

connectionString = connectionString + "InitialCatalog=" + databaseName + ";"

End If

''--Assign the connection string to the connection object.

Dim con As ConnectionManager = Dts.Connections("Thread1Connection")

''con.ConnectionString = connectionString

con.Properties("ConnectionString").SetValue(con, connectionString)

When the task is run, as long as the connection is made to Oracle it runs fine; but as soon as the connection string is set to SQL, it breaks with error:

Error: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_OLEDBERROR. An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80040E14. An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft SQL Native Client" Hresult: 0x80040E14 Description: "Statement(s) could not be prepared.". An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft SQL Native Client" Hresult: 0x80040E14 Description: "Invalid object name 'MyTable'".

And

[DTS.Pipeline] Error: "component "Alert values from Oracle" (585)" failed validation and returned validation status "VS_ISBROKEN".

Another thing that I noted is, when I log the connection string just assigned it doesn't show the password (while the string "connectionString" does). Dts.Events.FireInformation(0, "connectionString - " + connectionString, "connectionString - " + connectionString, String.Empty, 0, False) shows the password value.

Dts.Events.FireInformation(0, Dts.Connections("Thread1Connection").ConnectionString.ToString(), Dts.Connections("Thread1Connection").ConnectionString.ToString(), String.Empty, 0, False) doesn't show the password value. I assume SSIS does that for protecting credentials.

Any ideas on what I'm missing out here? Thanks.

• Can you use SQL Native Client to connect to Oracle?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I assume you meant changing my OLEDB source type from Oracle to SQL Native Client. When I do that then the oracle query breaks with the following error:

[Alert values from Oracle [585]] Error: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_OLEDBERROR. An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80040E14. An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle" Hresult: 0x80040E14 Description: "ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected ".

Or did you mean something else?

Edit: The Oracle query runs fine when the source provider is Oracle. There are no syntactical mistakes. {the error message seems to indicate so}.

• The error message specifically mentions SQL Native Client - making me wonder whether you tried to connect to Oracle using the wrong provider ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (7/14/2009)

The error message specifically mentions SQL Native Client - making me wonder whether you tried to connect to Oracle using the wrong provider ...

Umm.. let me try to explain what I'm doing. The idea is to run various queries through the same package across SQL and Oracle. The queries are numerous and the dB they hit is quite big. So I have multiple For..Loop containers to implement a thread kind of thing. At design time I do not know which query will hit which thread so I assign the query and the connection string to the source at run time. Each container has its own OLEDB data source. At design time I had the source configured with Oracle database but re-assign the connection string before a SQL statement is executed.

And I think there's the problem. The SQL statement that I expect to run against SQL Server is still being executed against Oracle {that's why it can't see 'MyTable'}. While I expect it to execute correctly as I have reset the connection string. The output column names and types are same for both Oracle & SQL queries.

• Got it!! :w00t:

I had to modify my query to include the absolute path of the SQL Server database. Somehow the "Initial Catalog" thing in the connection string doesn't seem to work.

So the query became:

select column1 from dbname.schema.mytable

Thank you Phil, for your time.

• Nice work and no problem - I don't think I helped much. By the sound of it, you already know way more than I do anyway! Glad that you tracked it down.

• I'm a newbie in SSIS and i was trying to find out why i can't make it with data access mode= sql command from variable, for hours! now i know that was the dbname.schema.tablename thing! it works! thanks a lot....

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply