Changing Source Table Name at Runtime

• Hi,

I have a source table which contains monthly data. Every month the name of the table changes to include the new month as follows:-

November -> schemaname_table_name_1107

December -> schemaname_table_name_1207

January -> schemaname_table_name_0108

etc.....

I have a dataflow task that contains a source, data conversion and destination. I was wondering how I could change the source table name at runtime so that I don't have to manually change the name everytime I run the package.

Just to be clear: the table structure is fixed, the first portion of the table name is fixed and the source database is fixed.

I was thinking about variables however, I really don't know where to begin and how to go about it.

Cheers!

• use "sp_rename" see BOL for more information.

• sp_rename only works with SQL Server and my source is an oracle databse and I need to build an expression with the source to change table name everytime so I don't think it will work

• In the data flow task, create a string variable User::varCommand and set the following properties:

EvaluateAsExpression=True

Expression="SELECT " +

RIGHT("0" + (DT_WSTR, 2)MONTH(GETDATE()), 2) +

RIGHT((DT_WSTR, 4)(YEAR(GETDATE())), 2)

(Replace )

Now use an OLE DB Source to read the table and set the following properties:

AccessMode=SQL Command From Variable

SqlCommandVariable=User::varCommand

Be sure the table for the current month exists whenever you edit or run the package, otherwise the metadata will be lost.

Hope this helps

Peter

• Expression="SELECT " +

(Replace)

I receive an error on the expression shown above. The Right function takes two parameters. One is the character expression which in the above code is shown by "0" - i think this should be the variable name???

• I tried Peter's expression. It works correctly.

It sets the variable to: SELECT 1207

What is the error that BIDS is throwing?

Norman

DTS Package Search

http://www.dtspackagesearch.com/

• Oops,

I inserted some placeholders in the expression surrounded by less- and greater then characters. Probably disappeared as invalid HTML-tags.

The expression should be something like

Expression="SELECT fields FROM table-prefix" +

(Replace "fields'' with the columns from your tables and "table-prefix" with the prefix of your tables).

The first RIGHT function takes two arguments:

1. "0" + (DT_WSTR, 2)MONTH(GETDATE()), the number of the month casted to a string with a leading zero added (for the months 1-9).

2. 2, telling the RIGHT function to take the last two character of the first argument

The second RIGHT function cuts off the last two digits from the current year casted to a string.

Given the current date, the expression evaluates to "SELECT fields FROM table-prefix1207"

Peter

• THANKS ALOT PETER! The expression works great!!! Appreciate it!

• Hi again,

I managed to modify peter's expression to cater for the case when data for a given month is not available till the begining of the next month as follows:-

"select * from TABLE_NAME_" +

right((DT_WSTR,20)month(dateadd("mm",-1,getdate())),2) +

right((DT_WSTR,50)year(dateadd("mm",-1,getdate())),2)

this gives a result of:-

select * from table_name_1207

Thanks again Peter!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply