Changing SQL Licensing

• I am doing some testing on a Win2000 Server with SQL 2000 SP2 HF2 installed. I originally set it up to be Enterprise/Processor. I'm trying to change it to Enterprise/Per Seat. I re-run the setup and do the registery rebuild, but the commands:

select SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

select SERVERPROPERTY ('numlicenses')

select SERVERPROPERTY ('licensetype')

still return Enterprise, NULL, Disabled which I think means processor licensing. This is also what showed up prior to the registery rebuild. When I re-run the registery rebuilder it shows up in per-seat like it should be. I even did an uninstall/reinstall and it still shows up as processor. Any Thoughts?

- Vega

• From BOL

LicenseType

Mode of this instance of SQL Server.

PER_SEAT = Per-seat mode

PER_PROCESSOR = Per-processor mode

DISABLED = Licensing is disabled.

Base data type: nvarchar(128)

NumLicenses

Number of client licenses registered for this instance of SQL Server, if in per-seat mode.

Number of processors licensed for this instance of SQL Server, if in per-processor mode.

Returns NULL if the server is none of the above.

Base data type: int

Choose Licensing Mode

Use this dialog box to set the licensing mode enabling your clients to access this instance of Microsoft® SQL Server™. SQL Server 2000 supports two client access licensing modes, one for each device and another for each processor.

A device in this context can be a workstation, terminal, or any other device running a SQL Server application connected to an instance of SQL Server.

A processor refers to a central processing unit (CPU) installed on a computer running an instance of SQL Server 2000. One computer may have multiple processors installed, requiring multiple processor licenses.

Once a licensing mode is set, you cannot change modes. You can add device or processor licenses after installing SQL Server, using the SQL Server 2000 Licensing Setup utility in Control Panel. (Do not confuse this licensing utility with the Windows Licensing utility, also found in Control Panel.)

For more information about licensing modes, see the Microsoft license agreement for SQL Server 2000.

Options

Licensing Mode

If accessing this dialog box from Control Panel, the mode chosen during setup is selected by default, along with the number of devices or processors you have previously selected.

Per Seat for

The Per Seat licensing mode requires a Client Access License for each device that will access SQL Server 2000 Server. Per Seat is often more economical for networks in which clients connect to more than one server.

In the edit box, select the number of devices to license.

Processor License for

With Processor licensing, a license is needed for each processor installed on the computer running SQL Server. The Processor License allows any number of devices to access the server, whether through an Intranet or over the Internet.

Using Processor licensing, SQL Server 2000 can take advantage of each installed processor, and support an unlimited number of client devices. A customer that provides access to SQL Server databases over the Internet, or that has a large number of users, will generally choose the Processor License.

In the edit box, select the number of processors to license.

Continue

Click the Continue button to complete the installation process, or after modifying the number of devices or processors you want to license.

The key you will note is as follows

quote:

Once a licensing mode is set, you cannot change modes.

I thnik you can rebuild the entire box to get around thou.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• After some testing I have found a way to accomplish what I needed to do. Inorder for you to go from Enterprise Processor licensing to Enterprise Per Seat you first do a registery rebuild with a standard edition disk, then in that rebuild you change it to per seat, then after that is accomplished you do a registery rebuild with the enterprise disk leaving the setting alone and BINGO, you now have an Enterprise server with per seat licensing.

Chris

- Vega

• Not sure MS likes this, but an intersting workaround. Thanks

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• There's not much MS likes anyway, just as long as he is complying with the correct licensing purchased thou then there is not much they can say. And yes that is quite and amazing way to get from point A to B by using Z to make it.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply