Changing Taxonomy

• Oh, and we've talked about notifications. It's a bit tricky to do this since the system on which it's based doesn't have a lot of room for changes. I would like to see these go out once and hour or so and a list of all items in there. Really RSS does this if you subscribe to threads, but that can be a lot of subscriptions and it's a pain to manage.

I'll add that one to the list.

• FWIW, I am very happy with how notifications work now.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I've logged a note. Personally I think I'd like an hourly email rather than 20-30 a day.

• I'd like to see richer notification options. If instant forums hasnt changed much you can handle the queuing via a trigger and implement your own queue/notification process and stay pretty abstracted.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/5/2009)

I've logged a note. Personally I think I'd like an hourly email rather than 20-30 a day.

Doesn't that make 24 e-mails a day anyways? :w00t:

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/5/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (1/5/2009)

I've logged a note. Personally I think I'd like an hourly email rather than 20-30 a day.

Doesn't that make 24 e-mails a day anyways? :w00t:

As opposed to the 11 that I got during the local noon hour on last Monday from this one thread alone.

One email per hour that said, "You have new posts in the following thread(s): " with the the thread title, number of new posts, and a link to the first unread. Just 24 of those in a day would speed up my reading and handling the onslaught of replies a good thread, like this one, brings. 😉

ATBCharles Kincaid

• It would be 24, or maybe not. Depends on the activity in your forums. I go hours without any replies sometimes, but then I'll be like Charles and get 40 when I go run for 20 minutes.

Richer options are definitely something I'd like to see as well.

• Gmail handles these really nicely for me.

I have a label defined for them, so they are all off in their own "folder". And gmail automatically collects multiple notifications for the same thread into one "group" message for me so I only have to read once, link to the thread once, and then delete it once. NICE.

This way, when I am online I get near immediate (delay is a minute or two) notification of new replies, so I can read & respond right away. But if I am working or otherwise unable to track things, it neatly pulls them together so that instead of 230 reply notices to one of the "commentary" threads, I just get one grouped message with a count of "(230)" attached to it. Makes it really easy to catch up later on.

Really NICE.

I encourage you frequent responders (and lurkers) to try it.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• While I'm not a terribly active poster/responder I also use Gmail for this functionality and I'd have to agree it works really well.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Here are some additional sections (revised):

-Upgrade (to latest release)

-Data Access Layer (LINQ, ADO.NET, ODBC, JDBC, RBAR marshalling)

-Conversion (to/from non-Microsoft SQL Server DBMS)

-Schema Design (logical & physical)

-SQL questions & solutions

-XML storage and access

-3rd Party Tools (other than SQL Server's own tools)

Performance Tuning can be broken down into:

-System & Network Configuration & Tuning

-DBMS Parameter Tuning

-Datafile Placement Tuning

-Storage Array Tuning

-Physical Schema Tuning, Indexes, Index Views & Denormallization

-Application SQL & Query Plan Tuning

-Data Access Layer Tuning (connection pool, marshalling)

The danger in breaking down performance tuning in this way is that individuals may focus on only one way of tuning (sub-topic) to the exclusion of all other methods.

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply