Charindex backwards i.e from right to left

• From the following string.....

<p style="text-align: justify;">Embedded link <a class="productLink href=";" macro="productLink" code1="1055288" uid="_13360741834971941">code1</a>sku</p>

I'm trying to detemine the position of "<a class="productLink" working backwards from the position of "code1="

Thanks

• Try REVERSE()

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• rabisco (5/3/2012)

From the following string.....

<p style="text-align: justify;">Embedded link <a class="productLink href=";" macro="productLink" code1="1055288" uid="_13360741834971941">code1</a>sku</p>

I'm trying to detemine the position of "<a class="productLink" working backwards from the position of "code1="

Thanks

select charindex(reverse('code1="',reverse(mycolumn),charindex(reverse('"<a class="productLink"'),reverse(mycolumn) )

you could also try

select charindex(''code1=',mycolumn)-charindex('"<a class="productLink"',mycolumn)

but without knowing what the "target" number is that you need in this problem i'm not sure which will give the correct value

MVDBA

• michael vessey (5/4/2012)

rabisco (5/3/2012)

From the following string.....

Thanks

select charindex(reverse('code1="',reverse(mycolumn),charindex(reverse('"<a class="productLink"'),reverse(mycolumn) )

you could also try

select charindex(''code1=',mycolumn)-charindex('"<a class="productLink"',mycolumn)

but without knowing what the "target" number is that you need in this problem i'm not sure which will give the correct value

Hi Mike,

thanks for you resonse and suggestions.

What I'm really trying to get at this.

I could have one or more of these link...

For every "code1" I need to detemine the position of "<a class="productLink - which is basically doing a charindex working backwards from the position of "code1"

Your suggestion

Returns the position of any <a class="productLink it finds.

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply