Check Identity onatable

• If i have a table with an identity column and i have set identity turned on how do i verify if the table is in ON/OFF mode. any help will be appreciated TIA

• ishaan99 (1/13/2009)

If i have a table with an identity column and i have set identity turned on how do i verify if the table is in ON/OFF mode. any help will be appreciated TIA

SELECT *

FROM

INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

WHERE

COLUMNPROPERTY -- get columns where is_identity = 1

(

OBJECT_ID(QUOTENAME(table_schema) + '.' + QUOTENAME(table_name)) -- table ID

,column_name

,'isidentity'

) = 1

ORDER BY

table_name

,ordinal_position

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Paresh Prajapati
    ➡ +919924626601
    http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/[/url]
    LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj

• Are you trying to find out if a table has IDENTITY_INSERT set to ON?

• Eric Klovning (1/14/2009)

Are you trying to find out if a table has IDENTITY_INSERT set to ON?

Yes , work for same

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Paresh Prajapati
    ➡ +919924626601
    http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/[/url]
    LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj

• I guess the 1st question is "Do you really need to know if IDENTITY_INSERT is enabled on a table, or do you want to find out which table in the current session has it enabled"?

Note that only one table in a session can have IDENTITY_INSERT turned ON at an one time.

Note that:

- SET IDENTITY_INSERT does not have identity-insert turned ON

- SET IDENTITY_INSERT already has identity-insert turned ON

If you want to know which table has IDENTITY_INSERT turned ON for the current session, you could attempt to turn IDENTITY_INSERT ON for a table that you *know* does not currently have IDENTITY_INSERT turned ON - you will receive an "Identity_Insert is already ON for table database.schema.table" error, indicating which table currently has it turned on for the current session.

If you do not receive an error then there is no table with IDENTITY_INSERT turned ON for the current session (or the table you *knew* did not have identity_insert turned on, actually did have it turned ON:))

PK

• Paresh Prajapati (1/15/2009)

Eric Klovning (1/14/2009)

Are you trying to find out if a table has IDENTITY_INSERT set to ON?

Yes , work for same

NO. It does not.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply