checkdb error in master database

• Monday greeted me with a lovely message from a production cluster:

DBCC CHECKDB ([master]) WITH NO_INFOMSGS, ALL_ERRORMSGS, DATA_PURITY

Msg 2570, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Page (1:450), slot 51 in object ID 58, index ID 1, partition ID

281474980511744, alloc unit ID 281474980511744

(type "In-row data"). Column "name" value is out of range for data

type "nvarchar". Update column to a legal value.

CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors in table

'sys.sysbinobjs' (object ID 58).

CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors in database 'master'.

This is in a system table. Is there a way to fix the value of the field or otherwise resolve without going to the trouble of restoring master from backup?

Thanks!

• I would recommend restore from a clean backup.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/5/2012)

I would recommend restore from a clean backup.

That is my thought as well ... it is just a pain to get downtime for this system,

particularly if no users are experiencing a problem.

• Restore of master should be very fast (practice on a dev machine so you know how it works), also this likely isn't absolutely critical to fix if there's not much done to master (new DBs, new logins, etc), but sooner rather than later. If master goes suspect the entire instance goes down, so don't leave it too long.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• prettsons (3/6/2012)

If this is the case, you will have to clean the database to remove the inconsistencies and then attempt to execute the DBCC command again.

Except this is a system table that can't be updated. Hence the recommendation to restore from a clean backup.

Gail Shaw

• prettsons (3/6/2012)

The DBCC command finishes but reports problem about data inconsistency. If this is the case, you will have to clean the database to remove the inconsistencies and then attempt to execute the DBCC command again. You will have to specify the DATA_PURITY option for the DBCC command until the database is reported to be clean.

Check this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923247%5B/quote%5D

Thanks!

I did try to investigate this sort of solution, but sadly the data purity issue is in a table that I am not able to modify. We used to be albe to edit system tables but no more.

I'm going to script all the logins, just in case, and hit this next time I get a window for down time. No user complaints being generated so it might be a little while.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply