checkdb issues sql 2008

• Hi guys,

So we had an issue recently and trying to recover a specific database part of the process was to run checkdb.... however I get the following:

<Dbcc ID="0" Error="7985" Severity="16" State="2">System table pre-checks: Object ID 3. Could not read and latch

page (1:3098) with latch type SH. Check statement terminated due to unrepairable error.</Dbcc>

I am asking on the forums if anyone has experience with DBCC PAGE and what sort of text in the output I should be looking for to try resolve this... else a full backup it is!

cheers.

• Restore from backup, that's not repairable.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm pretty sure this is the point where you'd restore from your last known good backup and move forward.

• ok thanks.

• Just to add on what others already said; you have an option to repair the specific page in RESTORE DATABASE COMMAND;

RESTORE DATABASE yourdb PAGE = '1:94299'

FROM DISK = 'C:\yourdb.bak'

WITH NORECOVERY

For detail, see these links:

http://www.sql-server-pro.com/dbcc-checkdb.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2007/01/18/fixing-damaged-pages-using-page-restore-or-manual-inserts.aspx

• fahad_fastian (7/17/2012)

Just to add on what others already said; you have an option to repair the specific page in RESTORE DATABASE COMMAND;

That will not work. Page restores can't be done on most allocation pages or on the critical system tables and object id 3 (the one that CheckDB fails with an error in) is a critical system table.

This will require a full restore or at minimum a restore of the entire primary filegroup.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply