Choosing one of several options

• I'm working on an interface between our HR system and our Time Keeping system and have one final piece I can't figure out. I'm hoping someone here can help...

I'm processing many fields, but will use only 2 or 3 for the sake of clarity in my question.

I'm processing EMP_Number, phone_number and phone_type. Phone_type can be either HOME, CELL or it can be NULL. I want the HOME number if it is populated, then to check for a CELL number. If neither is populated, it will return the NULL value.

Is this something done in the WHERE clause? Do I need a UNION of some sort? I'm trying to do this with only one SQL statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bob

• Is the phone data stored in a separate table ? Can you give DDL of the tables involved ?

• In my "real" statement, there are 7-8 tables involved, but I am testing this in only one table. If I can get that to work, I can extrapolate the logic into my big statement.

In my example I have three columns: Name, Phone type and Phone number. Name is not nullable but the other two are.

The data in my sample table is as follows:

EMPLID     PhoneType  PhoneNumber    

---------- ---------- ---------------

Bob          CELL         270/860-1234  

Bob          HOME       270/821-5678  

Tim          CELL         270/860-7890  

Paul         NULL         NULL

Andrew     HOME       270/222-1212  

Bob          Businness  821/962-5112  

My goal is to have each employee listed only once. If there is a HOME number, that should be returned. If no HOME number, the CELL (if it exists) should be returned. If they have neither, then NULL should be returned.

I have come up with something that works but I'm not sure if it is good SQL or not. It uses a UNION which I tried to avoid, but I can't figure another way out. Here is what I've got ...

SELECT    

A.EMPLID,

A.PhoneType,

A.PhoneNumber

FROM tblPhoneNumbers A

WHERE A.PhoneType = 'CELL'

AND A.EMPLID NOT IN (SELECT EMPLID FROM tblPhoneNumbers where PhoneType = 'HOME')

union

SELECT    

b.EMPLID,

b.PhoneType,

b.PhoneNumber

FROM tblPhoneNumbers b

WHERE b.PhoneType = 'HOME' or b.PhoneType is null

AND b.EMPLID NOT IN (SELECT EMPLID FROM tblPhoneNumbers where PhoneType = 'CELL')

which returns...

EMPLID     PhoneType  PhoneNumber    

---------- ---------- ---------------

Andrew     HOME       270/222-1212  

Bob        HOME       270/821-5678  

Paul       NULL       NULL

Tim        CELL       270/860-7890  

(4 row(s) affected)

• Do a join to one of your main tables that has EmplID

SELECT a.EmplID,

COALESCE(C.PhoneType, H.PhoneType,'') PhoneType,

COALESCE(C.PhoneNumber, H.PhoneNumber,'') PhoneNumber

FROM MainTable a

LEFT OUTER JOIN tblPhoneNumbers C ON a.EmplID = C.EmplID AND C.PhoneType = 'CELL'

LEFT OUTER JOIN tblPhoneNumbers H ON a.EmplID = H.EmplID AND H.PhoneType = 'HOME'

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply