Client files needed to connect to Server Database?

• Hello, I'm deploying a vb - sql server 2005 application.  If the database is on a SQL Server 2005 Server,  what files, other than the application files, need to be installed on the client machine to connect to the server database.  I'm connecting to the database using a SQL Native Client.  This is a newbie question but I don't know what files need to be deployed with the application.  Does the client needs the database engine or just the native client driver to connect to the database on the server.

Thanks for any help

• you would want to deploy the SQL Native Client drivers with your application. you would not need anything else.

here's what MS says: basically they give a reditributable sqlncli.msi file, and if you are creating your program with InstallShield or some other packager, then it should automatically find and register any dependancies.

Deploying Applications with SQL Native Client

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks that helps alot!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply