Client Tools Installation

• Hi All,

If we install clint tools only on a machine, does it needs to install SP4 and Hot fixes ?

And will it makes any difference if we install Standard edition client tools ?

Thanks In Advance.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Raghavender Chavva

• Hi Raghavender,

I assume your referring to SQL 2000? This post should have been posted to the SQL 2000, Administering forum. My understanding is that the service pack should also be applied to the client tools installation.

Regards,

Mark

• My understanding is that the service pack should also be applied to the client tools installation.

I think you have to apply service pack to database only.

• I have all developers install all service packs to any version of sql even if it is only desktop tools. It will apply only what is needed. This goes for SQL2000 as you are refering to as well as SQL 2005

• You have to apply Service pack On Client tools.

I remember when I working from Clients tools SQL Server 2005 ( Windows XP). I wanted to edit a maintenance plan and everytime I try to open it, it gives me an error saying you should use the same tools with which you build this maintenance plan.. some error like that... when I did research on what is the solution , I saw I have to upgrade my client tools as well.

So answer to your question is YES, Best practice is to apply Service pack on your client installation as well. If not you will face similar problems like I did. I don't see any reason not to upgrade your client tools.

I don't know about Hotfixes though 😕

• Avoid Hotfixes unless they are truly needed to fix a known problem on your system. Microsoft warns the not to install unless needed. Testing on a test system would be highly advise also.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply