Cluster account removed, instance down

• While doing some testing on removing the BUILTIN\ADMIN account, I removed the cluster account from an SQL 2000 instance and now the instance won't come back up. Is there a way I can get the instance up long enough to add the account back?

• "Is there a way I can get the instance up long enough to add the account back? "

No

If you can easily reproduce the logins and can reattached the user databases, just rebuild master (rebuildm.exe )

If you have logins, configuation and users databases, here are the complete recovery steps:

1. Rename the master database files (mdf and ldf)

2. Run the rebuild master program - rebuildm.exe

3. start sql server.

4. Add the appropriate logins.

5. Attach the old master datafiles under a new database name such as master_old

6. use sql to insert into master_old.dbo.sysxlogins from the master.dbo.syslogins for the logins that you created. The column crdate will be useful.

7. shutdown SQL server.

8. rename the new master database files

9. rename the master_old database file to the old names (these are in the sql server startup parameters)

10. start SQL Server.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• Try starting the service in single user mode by running  sqlservr -m or changing the options in EM.  If you can get connected you should be able to add the BUILTIN\administrators account back.  Remove the single user mode option and SQL Service should now be able to start through clustering.  You could also try adding only your cluster service back instead of the BUILTIN\administrators account.

• Hello,

You might start it from the services applet from the cluster node that owns the resource group. Manually bring the disk resource online and start the service from the services applet. (Not the cluster administrator)

Then add the XXXXX\cluster account to your server.

/whew!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply