Cluster automatic failover - could it be caused by something running within SQL?

• ah yes 2008 is different, try exporting the log to a location you have permissions on

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (9/28/2010)

ah yes 2008 is different, try exporting the log to a location you have permissions on

I'm connecting as the cluster admin, and I also tried exporting to D:\temp with same results.

It makes no sense...

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• With Windows Server 2008 (with UAC enabled), you need to grant explicit administrator rights for certain actions even if the user is an administrator. Try opening up the command window with something similar to the following: runas /user:administrator /noprofile cmd

• MelS-512196 (9/28/2010)

With Windows Server 2008 (with UAC enabled), you need to grant explicit administrator rights for certain actions even if the user is an administrator. Try opening up the command window with something similar to the following: runas /user:administrator /noprofile cmd

Thank you, I was able to open the cmd prompt as administrator, and the following command now worked:

Cluster /Cluster:xxxxxxx log /gen /copy "C:\temp"

I will share the log as soon as I have had the chance to look at it a bit and perhaps mask some sensitive info;

thanks all for your advice, back shortly...

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• no problem, post the log when you are ready!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Here is the cluster.log file, pls see attached; as a reminder, failover occurred on Sep 24th between 5 and 5:30 pm.

From what I could tell, there isn't much information on the event...

• Hi

are you using a teamed connection for the heartbeat on your cluster nodes?

Also,

have you set your NIC settings and binding order correctly?

have you set the network types in Failover cluster management?

Please confirm how many nodes and quorum type in use?

• Perry Whittle (9/29/2010)

Hi

Also,

have you set your NIC settings and binding order correctly?

have you set the network types in Failover cluster management?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to answer some of these questions;

cluster was set up by the system-admin team and given to me to set up the SQL part.

However, if you give me some help, I will be able to get you this info.

Cluster consists of three nodes:

Node 1: active node for instance SQL01

Node 2: active node for instances SQL02 and ABCD

Node 3: passive node

Instance SQL01 can only fail over from Node 1 to Node 3

Instances SQL02 and ABCD can only fail over from Node 2 to Node 3

Is that what you mean by quorum type?

Thanks for your help!

• Marios Philippopoulos (9/30/2010)

Cluster consists of three nodes:

Node 1: active node for instance SQL01

Node 2: active node for instances SQL02 and ABCD

Node 3: passive node

Instance SQL01 can only fail over from Node 1 to Node 3

Instances SQL02 and ABCD can only fail over from Node 2 to Node 3

This is a perfectly viable cluster with one passive node, no this is not what i mean by quorum! Get the admins to provide answers to the questions below or follow the instructions to get the answers yourself.

BTW If you are using a teamed heartbeat, break the team and configure a single NIC only!!

if you require redunancy on the heartbeat and god knows why, configure a second NIC and set the binding appropriately. Windows 2008 doesn't actually require a separate heartbeat now!

Perry Whittle (9/29/2010)

Hi

look in network and sharing centre under control panel.

Have you set your NIC settings and binding order correctly?

Find this in control panel > network and sharing centre > change adapter settings. Hit the ALT button and a file menu appears along the top. Select Advanced > Advanced settings. On the adapters and bindings tab post a screenshot of this!!

Have you set the network types in Failover cluster management?

Go into failover cluster manager and expand the cluster in the left pane. Select networks in the left pane and post a screenshot

to get the current quorum type click the cluster name in failover cluster manager. The centre pane will list the quorum type in use (e.g. node majority -)

• was it something I said :unsure:

• Perry Whittle (10/5/2010)

was it something I said :unsure:

Not at all! 😉

I've just been very busy, but let me get you some answers, back soon.

• From Cluster Manager:

- Quorum Configuration: Node Majority

- Networks: Heartbeat Network, Prod Network

- Nodes: 3

I'm attaching screenshots you requested.

Thank you for the help!

• I'm assuming the network binding is the same on all nodes?

Break the heartbeat team and use a single network connection only!

• Perry Whittle (10/5/2010)

I'm assuming the network binding is the same on all nodes?

Break the heartbeat team and use a single network connection only!

Thank you, but can you explain what this means - heartbeat team vs. single connection - and how it could be detrimental to the health of the cluster?

I am not at all familiar with how cluster architecture works, and I haven't been able to find much useful info on the web; I wish msdn had more material on this. Any links you could suggest to me for further reading?

• A network team is 2 or more network adapters configured as one logical network interface. As I said before Windows 2008 clusters do not actually require a separate heartbeat and in any case it certainly shouldn't be teamed. Check the following KB for more info!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply